when the school sends home a questionnaire

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Joking aside ... I think it would be an ideal opportunity for parents to be able to express concerns, praise (where due) and ideas for the school.

Feedback is always helpful (good or bad)!
Heartmum x x x
Milla

Post by Milla »

you're right, Heartmum; I'm such a creep I feel a heavy guilt at appearing to criticise even though I know that without it progress cannot be made.
dinah

Post by dinah »

These surveys are usually connected to ofsted. School use them to see what will happen when ofsted send out their questionnaires so they are important.
Hope

Post by Hope »

I have had a questionnaire from both my kids primary and grammar schools. I agree it is difficult but I do think like CM you should try to tell the truth in a way that both praises good things and comments on things you have a problem with. I think the wording is important and should not all be about grumbles.

I am not a person who is shy about coming forward so the school probably have an idea if I am not happy with something so when they get my completed questionnaire I am sure they know who its from even if it is anonymous :oops:

If you don't complete the questionnaires truthfully the school will not be aware of the problems some of the parents my have with the school and so will not be able to make the improvements.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

These surveys are usually connected to ofsted
This is correct so am surprised that some schools aren't doing them. The schools do want and need a good feedback percentage.

At our primary you can chose to be anonymous or put in names. I often have to give different answers for my different children so I tell it as it is and which child I am referring too. In the past the school have taken on board some of mine and other parents' suggestions.

p.s Milla I filled mine in and I told them exactly what I thought of their un-authorised absences policy. It is possible that they will be able to out me by checking the register :wink: [/quote]
Milla

Post by Milla »

Tolstoy wrote:
p.s Milla I filled mine in and I told them exactly what I thought of their un-authorised absences policy. It is possible that they will be able to out me by checking the register :wink:
:lol: :lol:
We seem to have got off quite lightly though, Tolstoy - have heard it's quite common to be asked in to see the Head. Imagine! :shock:

And as for Ofsted, I wish I'd known that - it's one thing trying to change the system, or point things out you're not so keen on, but if it's to be made public in anyway, I'd have been more defensive of the school.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

From what I could work out at our meeting it is good to have a response, the biggest problem is getting people to return the questionnaires. I suspect that people are more inclined to respond if they do have a grievance so negatives are to be expected. I am all for constructive criticism.

Suspect that next year with two going AWOL I may get a call in unless they have tracked me down and baring in mind my stance on the questionaire he realises it will be futile to try and tackle me on it :lol:
Milla

Post by Milla »

Tolstoy wrote:From what I could work out at our meeting it is good to have a response, the biggest problem is getting people to return the questionnaires.
is this referring to our GS???
kirsty@home

questionnaire

Post by kirsty@home »

heartmum wrote:Joking aside ... I think it would be an ideal opportunity for parents to be able to express concerns, praise (where due) and ideas for the school.

Feedback is always helpful (good or bad)!
Hi I'm kirsty and very very new to this forum. I thought I might add that while I agree that it is good to give fair and honest feedback on the school's questionnaire, it can also prove problematic. Recently a parent informed me that having completed her questionnaire and raised issues that had gone unaddressed for several years she now feels that she had been ostracised, as she raised an issue about bullying.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Kirsty thanks for replying -I see you've only made a couple of posts so hope you've not been scared off!
Ostracision was one thing I was anxious about ... new term starts soon.... we will see!!! :shock:
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now