Does your child bring their classwork home?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

Re: Does your child bring their classwork home?

Post by zorro »

I don't really understand why DC can't bring their classwork home. DS does his homework in his classwork exercise book but it has to be clearly marked 'Prep' or 'C/W' and dated. Surely there is better continuity if all the work is together. Must be easier to revise for exams too.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Mystery...I think it might be time to bring out the old boiler suit, balaclava , head torch and extendable wire again.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My DCs keep everything at home and take in what is needed (or don't, of course :evil: ). It was the same at DDs previous school too. I think they do it all in one book (or a piece of paper which floats around and gets lost, never to be looked at again) and, as the other poster said, indicating whether it is homework or classwork. I think quite often homework is finishing off classwork, which sometimes accounts for why some children seem to have loads of homework and others very little - it depends how fast they are in class.
scary mum
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

At my daughters school most classwork is done in books that can be brought home to allow hw to be done (cue three books yesterday) but not if the teacher wants to take their books home to mark.
;D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Definitely Scarlett. I can only assume these schools have something bad to hide, so it's worth going in to take a look whatever the means.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

What about sending DD in wearing The Unforgiving Coat .....it will be so large she will be able to secret all her books under it.
HOO1

Post by HOO1 »

my son (@ grammar) brings his books home, his homework is done in the same books, good to see what they are actually doing in class, not so good for his back, but hopefully he will soon grow into his school bag!!! :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

They look so studious with their big bags...not sure how long that will last ! I was looking through my sons new books yest.( whilst trying to prise them off the table as I was mid plastic coating them) and I was pleased to see in the front of each a box with an assessment result column, a NC column and columns for targets too complete with a big tick if the child has reached them. It's going to be really helpful to follow their progress and know if they need help.That's of course if DS continues to let me rifle through his bag.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's going to be really helpful to follow their progress and know if they need help
Hmmm. Ive never yet seen one of these completed, so will be interested to hear what happens, Scarlett. Mind you scary boy's DT home work the other day was to plot his marks from DT last year on a graph and compare it with his predictions.

I have to say, I do like the clear instructions they get about what is expected in classwork/homework, which also gets stuck in their books. Again, not sure if it is ever looked at again, but they can't say they weren't told. I'm sure I was never given any direction on what was needed to achieve certain grades etc.
scary mum