End of year 7 levels survey

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:The level 4a in foreign language (second results from the beginning) is for a child with no prior knowledge of the language.

I am regretting having posted my child's results here. If people are so sceptical there is no point. I do not consider myself as dumb, naive, or a liar, and I am quite offended.
I won't be caught out again.
Thanks everyone. I am glad you found the information useful..

My child does 1 MFL two hours a week in year 7. Will do 2 in year 8
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi

Just for your information my year 10 daughter got

level 5 in English at the end of year 6

level 7 at the end of year 7

level 5 at the end of year 8.

She went on to get a 7 in her Sats in year 9.

So work that one out!

(I don't know about my year 7 child yet, but my advice is not to worry too much about levels at this stage)
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Interesting :D

I was also wondering how languages are assessed in other schools. My son written ability is assessed with essays, and I think that it is a quite a vague way of doing it, because he is free to use the vocabulary and the sentences that he likes.

When I was at school, a long time ago, we were assessed with translations, in both directions, hence on more specific topics.
dobbyagain

More results to ponder.

Post by dobbyagain »

I dug out my year 10 child's reports and he (who hadn't MFL previously) got 3's in French and German but has been predicted 13 A* next year and is supposedly 'top' of his grammar school year at languages. He always go over and above at all other subjects but as the MFL's were new the school gave pretty much everyone 3's then.
I've also got my year 7 child's results for this yera in case they are of interest to anyone. You can see we get NC result, percentage for the test given and the year group median mark. It is a grammar school. MFL are interesting as she got 90/92% and yet only 3A's - I know from experience with older son this doesn't matter as they still get A* at GCSE.

English 6A (92%) median 60%
Maths 6A (88%) MEDIAN 57%
Science 6A (96%) MEDIAN 68%
Tech 3A (68%) MEDIAN (67%)
IT 5C MEDIAN (4c)
Geog 5A (85%) " (76%)
History 6B (68%) " (58%)
French 3A (90%) Median (73%)
german 3A (92%) Median (65%)
Music 5A Median (4)
Art 5A Median (4b)
Drama 4A Median (4C) She's done several professional shows!

I was more concerned with the comments as they helped me understand whether she tried hard, was kind and caring and was fulfilling her potential.
solimum

end of yr 7

Post by solimum »

I was intrigued enough by this to dig out my yr 12 sons end-of-yr 7 reports, and as I suspected, they predate the obsession with levels & sub-levels which has made recent parents evenings rather a struggle to understand - he was simply given grades in each subject for achievement, effort, reliability, working with others and presentation ( the last never his strongest point!). He did get two level 6's at KS2 (when you could still take the extension papers) and 12.5 A* at GCSE so hopefully that was enough value added for them

Daughter currently in Yr 8 however had the full range of levels -
English 5b
Maths 6a
Science 5b
IT 5c
DT 5a
French 4c (first "official" year of studying, although she had been to French clubs etc)
Geography 5c
HIstory 5a
RE 5b
Art 5b
Drama 5c
Music 4a
PE 4b

I must admit I take them rather with a pinch of salt (as the more experienced teachers tend to - it is noticeably the younger teachers who talk constantly about "working towards 6a" - the older teachers prefer to translate into English what that actually means in terms of quality of work and understanding). I can never remember whether a is better than c! Also they can only be given a level if they have been asked to do work which could demonstrate that particular box can be ticked. The KS2 results were simply three 5's without any sub-levels

By the way these are all from the same 11-16 (soon to be 11-18) comp my son (above) attended, as well has his elder brother (now at university). All these levels and sub-levels will fade into distant memory eventually....!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

each level has 3 sublevels a,b,c.

The school will have recorded theh level as oneof these, so maybe if you asked they might tell you. Children are expected to gain 2 sublevels a year.

Maybe teh school thinks that the sublevel is more relevant to their records than for parents, so just say 4 or 5 to give you a general feel.
MelX

Post by MelX »

If they are expected to move up two levels how do we know if they have if we don't know exactly where they started. When my son did his year 6 SATS last year he achieved three level fives but I don't know whether they were a b or c. I know he scored 88% in Maths so what would that have been. Is there anywhwre that tells you how they are worked out?

Mel
guest1

Post by guest1 »

Sorry to sound stupid but what is MFL???
chad

Post by chad »

The level threshold tables for KS2 2006 can be found here

https://orderline.qca.org.uk/gempdf/1858388392.pdf

I believe my sons school then divided the level into 3 giving an a, b & c.

Maths Level 5 go from 78 -100 (a range of 22) thus giving a range of 7 for each level........5c 78 - 85, 5b 86 -93, 5a 94 - 100. (possibly/probably... :? but don't take my word for it.

MFL - Modern Foreign Language (I think)
MelX

Post by MelX »

Thank you Chad. Feel very silly but hey ho.

So what about all the other subjects are the children expected to achieve high levels in every subject. Science for instance is in three subjects so do they get 3 seperate levels. And what about the likes of History and Geography new subjects. I haven't had my sons report yet so have no idea what he is working to although he tells me Chemistry is not his thing!!

Mel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now