Going to Big School

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Re: Going to Big School

Post by KB »

It is a relatively small school so I'm sure it wont take him too long to settle in.

Do be careful with ordering the blazer so early though. Many of them seem to sprout during the Sumner holidays and often during year 7
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lol...now kittymum is chanting "we will be fine, we will be fine, we will be fine...in our too, short too tight blazer..." :lol:
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We worried Ds would struggle to settle in, he's not into rugby (rugby is a big part of the school) and only one other boy from his school was going there. He knew a couple of boys from Scouts who would be in Y7 as well. We did worry he wouldn't make friends as he is not the most outgoing boy and the majority of his friends were girls.

But our worries were not to be, he loves the freedom of walking to the bus stop and catching the bus every day. They were encouraged to join clubs, so he joined junior drama and Warhammer, this meant he has made friends with boys with similar interests to him.

It's amazing how much they grow up in a term and I don't mean physically (but that has also happening constantly).
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The alternative is

"We will be fine, we will be fine" in clothes three sizes too big.

Seriously though, having a DD in year 7, really, they will be fine. Her biggest fear was using the bus. Within days she was so blasé about it, it was like she had been catching buses everyday for years.

She isn't the most out going of girls. The best advice was, smile and say something nice about the person you are talking to. Doesn't have to be gushing, something I like your bag, or that's a nice pen. Seems to have worked.

She isn't sporty either.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Lol...now kittymum is chanting "we will be fine, we will be fine, we will be fine...in our too, short too tight blazer..." :lol:
'Cos of course that will make him feel his best and most confident :lol:

Seriously he is small (139cm) and very very very skinny (dd at 2 years younger is nearly as tall and weighs more and she's certainly not fat) - it would almost be worth the price of a blazer to get him to grow - I think the smallest size is still going to be huge on him. I can change it on 1st a July at Induction Day though.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Looks like the school have found a new rowing team cox bless him.

Word of warning if he is tiny, the bigger lads may pick him up by the rucksack straps, so maybe go for a different style bag. This isn't bullying, just a silly annoying habit amongst friends, (although bullies nay do it too?) my friend grumbled about her small son rejecting his brand new rucksack after a week...expensive mistake! (You cannot use just one strap as it gets pushed off your shoulder..ha blooming ha) My son is the opposite and always gets red marks round his neck from being used as a climbing frame.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kittymum wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Lol...now kittymum is chanting "we will be fine, we will be fine, we will be fine...in our too, short too tight blazer..." :lol:
'Cos of course that will make him feel his best and most confident :lol:

Seriously he is small (139cm) and very very very skinny (dd at 2 years younger is nearly as tall and weighs more and she's certainly not fat) - it would almost be worth the price of a blazer to get him to grow - I think the smallest size is still going to be huge on him. I can change it on 1st a July at Induction Day though.
southbucks3 wrote:Looks like the school have found a new rowing team cox bless him.

Word of warning if he is tiny, the bigger lads may pick him up by the rucksack straps, so maybe go for a different style bag. This isn't bullying, just a silly annoying habit amongst friends, (although bullies nay do it too?) my friend grumbled about her small son rejecting his brand new rucksack after a week...expensive mistake! (You cannot use just one strap as it gets pushed off your shoulder..ha blooming ha) My son is the opposite and always gets red marks round his neck from being used as a climbing frame.
Hmmm, my ds's both small too, at 135cm, and very skinny, I am thinking of getting both these flight bags that you pull along on wheels? Black briefcase things. DSsortof1 has to have one anyway for his school and DSsortof2 might get this picking up by the straps thing (though I hope not!)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Honestly, for KES I would go for a ruck sack or one strap satchel. The roads round the school and in school aren't really conducive to that sort of travel bag and, in all honesty, I think he might get teased pulling a wheely bag...although wheels on a cricket bag are essential!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

One thing I would say is try not to ask if they are nervous. It makes them think they should be. Ask them if they feel excited and looking forward to it instead.

And tell relatives to say the same. DD wasn't nervous at all until MIL asked her if she was. I then had to deal with the fallout for a while. Bearing in mind my MIL is a retired GS teacher you'd think she would have known better.
KB

Post by KB »

There may be an 'in' style of bag so I'd hold off buying anything expensive/special at first then upgrade later.
Definitely avoid briefcase or wheeled case until he has seen what others have.

Children usually find something to tease everyone about but you don't want to give them extra ammunition. Expect a bit of teasing and horse play and the best thing is to shrug it off. ( Bullying is a different matter of course but its unlikely so don't worry in advance!)

Expect ups and downs but try to look forward to it. Getting our DCs to independent adults is our goal and this is a major achievement on that road.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now