Recommendations for ks3 books

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Recommendations for ks3 books

Post by Guest55 »

Schools can buy these revision guides much cheaper. It's my experience that, if they think they are useful, they will bulk buy them.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Guest55 wrote:Schools can buy these revision guides much cheaper. It's my experience that, if they think they are useful, they will bulk buy them.
This has been our experience too. I didn't mention them earlier because I didn't think of them as text books but we are buying them via the school for much much less than their price on Amazon etc.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Seems that different schools have different policies.

'Homework' for drama at the start of term was to buy a copy of 'The Crucible'. The school were kind enough to provide the ISBN number and Amazon link, but if they can get a bulk discount surely that would have made sense rather than expecting parents to pay the retail price? :?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Not all publishers offer discounts, so if the school give parents the info, they can see if they can find where is selling cheap, or secondhand versions etc

However CGP in particular does for bulk orders. Even as a parent, if you order over x amount you'll get a discount. I imagine the discount for bulk school orders will be quite a decent amount.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

I went on CGP website to see what books are available. I chose Maths, AQA and it lists 28 products -
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Parent/books ... aths_range

They are still doing separate books foundation and higher tiers. I thought tiers were not there for the new GCSEs. Everyone was going to sit the same exam.

Anyway, there is so much material that I am confused what exactly I should buy. Any help much appreciated.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

There are still tiers for the new GCSEs.

BM, I’d suggest you look at the GCSE individual science ones for the right board since your DD will have started the gcse syllabus for those. Later on the school will offer them anyway (at least they have for us).

For gcse English she will be doing Eduqas (unless they change it) and that’s not a great done for that.

It’s worth talking to the teachers first and see what they suggest. Some of them give this info out during parents evening. Most of them would be happy to help in my experience.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now