key stage 3 SAT resullts

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Herman - all are back now at EGS did you get the official letter today?- hope your DS did well! I'm very proud of mine.
Bougalou
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Guest55 wrote: What might happen in 2010 is that the single-level tests will be used so this will be a bit like music exams in that you sit level 6 when your teacher thinks you are ready (two sittings a year). So there will still be tests -

The decision has not been made but the single level tests are already being trialled ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7604467.stm
I'm intrigued by the whole idea of these single-level tests. If children really are going to be allowed to sit each level as soon as they are ready, there will inevitably be a proportion of each year group who will end up way ahead of their peers. For example, you would see bright children in KS2 reaching Level 4 or 5 in Year 5 or younger - as is indeed already the case informally, but at present they still have to wait until the end of Y6 to be officially awarded the level they could have achieved much earlier. So what happens then - will they be streamed and start on KS3 work? Or spend the rest of their time at primary school developing all the other areas that were sidelined in order to focus on the tests? Or could it mean that more able children are finally going to get a better deal in state schools? :?
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Be aware that with the new tests it is likely that you will only get level 5 if you are 5b - secure level 5 - at the moment in the optionals you can be 'just over' the borderline and get the level.
jemima

frustration

Post by jemima »

My daughter was able to take key stage 2 tests when she was in key stage 1 (not allowed any more) She got level 5's when she was 7! She took them again at 11 . Obviously with the ceiling level 5. 100% in every subject.

Internally and 'moderated by county' she got level 7 at 11 . She is still being predicted 7/8 in subjects in year 8. There is no provision for more able children at secondary school. They coast - they get bored - they teach themselves.

Luckily we don't hold much with external exams and try and teach our children internal motivation and assessment - but sometimes it feels we're on our own.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Jemima I'm intrigued! I can't believe your daughter couldn't be stretched in a GS. Many allow pupils to take early entry GCSE and I've had pupils do A level early.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Grammar schools vary hugely round here in Kent in terms of "stretching". The one my stepson goes to which just requires an 11+ pass (as opposed to some of the West Kent superselectives which require a very high 11+ score) does not do anything out of the ordinary.

No early GCSEs, no chance to sit an AS in year 11, no IB in the sixth-form. It's no different from the comprehensive I used to teach at in the north many years ago, other than 75% of the ability range is missing, and the curriculum is strictly "academic".