Only Reasoning!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'm really sorry to hear this, Nathair, it must be a bitter blow when your dear one suffers a disappointment like this. Really sorry. I think your attitude is fantastic though and can only think that what will be will be and that wherever she goes she will be happy. Hope so! Meanwhile, Clitheroe's loss. It's a horrid business and you both gave it your best shot.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Nathair

Really sorry to hear about the Clitheroe result, maybe she had an off day - anyone can have them...

We'll KFC for the skipton results next week - diferent days - different exams, could make all the difference.

Herman
xx
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Really sorry to hear this Nathair, it is very difficult. We were in the same position last year, and still one year on, I can never understand what went wrong. Hopefully though you have another chance, and fingers crossed it will work out for you and your daughter. Whatever happens, as many have said to me, cream always rises to the top, and early days yet, at good comprehensive my son is doing just fine.

LFH
dolly

Post by dolly »

Nathair wrote:She didn't reach the required standard for Clitheroe :cry:
We're really not sure where it went wrong. She is a clever girl and got level 5's in her year 5 QCA tests but on the day it didn't come together. We are waiting for Skiptons results next Saturday, but I'm not confident now.
Maybe the stress wasn't worth it, but I always said it was my job to give her the opportunity and her job to take advantage of it.
I don't intend to appeal, but can I get her results so we know how much she missed by? The letter that came this morning didn't give any information, it just said that I couldn't appeal until after 1st March 2010.
Nathair - sorry about your result. If it makes you feel better, my son didn't get in either and he is also extremely bright. Our letter said the same as yours (we are out of catchment too).

Things happen for a reason, I do believe that. I hope she is happy wherever she goes.
Lancaster_Girls

Post by Lancaster_Girls »

Nathair and Dolly, I am sorry to hear your DC didn't get the results you hoped. My friends daughter did not get into LGGS - with her letter she was given the results from each of the 3 tests so she knows that it was the English paper that she missed out on. She too is out of catchment. I would definately contact the school to find out the results.

Good luck with the results you are waiting for.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Thanks everyone. I must admit I was totally gutted, held it together until DD went for breakfast, then shut myself in the bathroom for a bit of a :cry: I had pretty much geared myself for her to pass but not get a place as we're OOC. But this was a total blind side.
Now I've come round I'm glad we know now and we're not waiting 'till March before we find out. Also buoyed up by the fact that we had a look around a very good CofE school on Thursday that both DD's really liked. It's 10 miles away but so are the Grammars that we're looking at. I hope Skipton comes off but if not there's still the hope of a bursary or the CofE. If we dont get those I don't know what we'll do, the local comps are BAD!

Dolly, I'm really sorry to hear your DS was unsuccessful too. Everyone came out saying it was a hard test. I hope things turn out for you all.
dolly

Post by dolly »

Nathair,

For what it is worth, I believe that all those OOC who didn't get a place got the same letter. It just meant that they didn't get a place, not that they weren't up to CG's standard.

Apparently the wording in the past has been too ambiguous for people and many read that they had acheived the required standard, thought they had a place when they hadn't.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

dolly wrote:Nathair,

For what it is worth, I believe that all those OOC who didn't get a place got the same letter. It just meant that they didn't get a place, not that they weren't up to CG's standard.

Apparently the wording in the past has been too ambiguous for people and many read that they had acheived the required standard, thought they had a place when they hadn't.
I hope that's true (makes me feel a bit better) but what about waiting lists? This letter is a flat out "Your not coming here." There's no mention of "You passed but not well enough, you may have a place if the waiting list moves." Which is what I was expecting.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Nathair and Dolly I'm so sorry that it didn't go as hoped.

Nathair - I will keep my fingers crossed for Skipton and the Indies.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Nathair, so sorry to hear your news, bad news always comes as a devastating blow.

Be very careful how you read your letter - there is a difference in what they write and it should really be quite clear.

I am going to quote from my dd's letter (we are OOC too) which we received last year and it is very plain:

'I write to let you know that ****** has achieved 255 and can be considered for a place at Ripon Grammar School in September 2009. I must remind you, however, that the Maximum Admission Limit for Ripon Grammar School is 117 including 14 boarding places, and the fact that a pupil has met the standard needed for suitability for education at a selective school in Ripon does not guarantee a place at a grammar school and this is not an offer of a place.'

You need to know whether your dd passed or whether she is on the waiting list - there is a difference and you need to know the way to proceed forward from now on. If she failed you cannot appeal until after national allocations day in March. If she is on the waiting list you will want/need to know whereabouts on the list she is placed. If she is placed high up enough she may still be in with a chance.

Also,

I would be ringing up the Harrogate Area Education Office and asking them about arrangements for letting you know the results with the proposed postal strike - I believe they may be on at the time of the results? - I know you have asked before, but the strike wasn't a possibility then was it?

Keep your faith Nathair, it's hard I know, but things WILL work out.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now