Intensive tutoring - defintion of...?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

You asked for opinion's so I shall state mine.

I just don't see how on earth any child would need to be 'trained for 1-2yrs for one specific test to gain entry to GS. Surely if they are needing so many years to be trained for a test then they shouldn't be going to GS?
As I said, just my personal opinion.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Midget Man wrote:You asked for opinion's so I shall state mine.

I just don't see how on earth any child would need to be 'trained for 1-2yrs for one specific test to gain entry to GS. Surely if they are needing so many years to be trained for a test then they shouldn't be going to GS?
As I said, just my personal opinion.
I kind of agree with you.If they actually needed that then yes, they aren't cut out for grammar school.However looking amongst my friends that paid for tuition, many had extremely bright children but were "spooked"into doing more than they needed to by the 11+ industry.It is an industry now and there are plenty of people willing to take your money for two years even if it is not necessary.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

But because everyone is doing it, it IS necessary, and anyone not doing it is disadvantaged :shock:
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I agree absolutely Chelmsford Mum, and know that none of this will change unless everybody stopped ridiculous years of training, oh well-Guess all through life things are not how they should be :)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Also think that the "skills" required in VR and NVR need to be learned. They are techniques that are just not covered at school in the way the 11+ requires.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Doodles-Yes the VR and NVR is not taught within most school's, but this would not require 1-2yrs worth of training!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Children who are middling ability for grammar, ie not absolute top 5% ,need to have some guidance.(Like my own middle Dd - I do not want to appear smug she needed some help with Vr) However they don't need two years , they really don't.
My eldest got in with no prep(we took a really last minute decision to enter her) and took to VR like a duck to water but....my second didn't and needed some showing in order to, in her case scrape, into our local super selective.
Some prep is needed but not two years or even a year of practice.
That said although DD2 scraped in, she is not scraping along now at all and many of those who came in higher are doing less well because they were artificially propped up by years of tutoring.(I am not saying she is the best either)
I totally sympathise with those who allow fear to drive them into two year's tutition but until the test becomes less predictable, success can be largely "bought" and that is wrong.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Chelmsford mum wrote:Children who are middling ability for grammar, ie not absolute top 5% ,need to have some guidance.(Like my own middle Dd - I do not want to appear smug she needed some help with Vr) However they don't need two years , they really don't.
My eldest got in with no prep(we took a really last minute decision to enter her) and took to VR like a duck to water but....my second didn't and needed some showing in order to, in her case scrape, into our local super selective.
Some prep is needed but not two years or even a year of practice.
That said although DD2 scraped in, she is not scraping along now at all and many of those who came in higher are doing less well because they were artificially propped up by years of tutoring.(I am not saying she is the best either)
I totally sympathise with those who allow fear to drive them into two year's tutition but until the test becomes less predictable, success can be largely "bought" and that is wrong.
Perfectly stated Chelmsford Mum :)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Also depends on the type of GS you have in your area. Here 2 out of 3 of the boys schools are super selective (and the 3rd is so far away we wouldn't stand a chance) so you don't just have to pass you have to pass and then some!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

doodles wrote:Also depends on the type of GS you have in your area. Here 2 out of 3 of the boys schools are super selective (and the 3rd is so far away we wouldn't stand a chance) so you don't just have to pass you have to pass and then some!
Same here tbh.One grammar for Chelmsford.It has no "pass mark", no catchment and no sibling policy.Apart from that, unless you have the money for the 1000 quid a year for the private bus to the other grammars with a pass mark, you are pretty stuffed.(selective schools wise that is)
I do understand the drive to over prep but it perpetuates the problem.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now