Flattery or hijacking?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Diane

You have bought IPs maths, which I cannot comment on' I have only ever praised their verbal reasoning simply because they mirror the nfer verbal reasoning in Buckinghamshire.

I wouldn't dream of 'blindly' recommending publishers. I am stating as a matter of FACT that if you are taking the NFER verbal reasoning test in Buckinghamshire then Athey, Susan Daughtry [ books 1-7], Bond, Learning together and probably more DO NOT contain the exact type questions , you are therefore wasting your money , your time and will be teaching your child the incorrect 'types'

The only reason I 'scour 'this site is to help others is to stop parents teaching their children incorrect material for Buckinghamshire

My reason behind this is simple. I don't want parents teaching their children unnecessary material - the whole process of 11 plus testing can be very stressful at the best of times, so whats the point of adding extra pressure
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Guests and Diane

I am not sure whether I have actually said that papers purchased off the shelf bear little resemblance to the real papers. This is because I have never seen an actual real paper.

This topic crops up over and over.

Simply, for all areas setting NFER verbal reasoning 80 questions in 50 minutes. There is only one pack of four papers available to parents and they are the ones published by NFER.

There are then authors who write for Bucks. The reason I tend to mention IPS minus HIKNOS is because IPS makes the identification of types of questions easier for me. The HIKNOS questions are those that do not appear in NFER papers.

I spend a lot of time researching materials for my students, currently sixty-five of them, who are sitting the eleven-plus. This year we have been mapping a number of publishers materials into the IPS type system, this has resulted in the identification that although all the papers contain some NFER material, they also contain material that does not appear in NFER.

Any parent who has successfully attained places at Grammar schools with their child/student who have used off the shelf resources, generally have spent a lot of wasted hours in preparation.

This forum allows a number of experienced tutors to pass on what we consider to be good, sound advice, freely to as many parents as possible.

However, there are many instances of "I did this with my child and it worked", that may not universally apply to all parents and children.

Generally, parents accept our advice and trust our abilities, that is why they pay us.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Mike

Just have to make it clear, Bucks real NFER tests do use those HIKNOS types.