Raw pass mark-How do different tests compare?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nearly there

Raw pass mark-How do different tests compare?

Post by nearly there »

I've been looking at the raw scores needed to pass the 11+ in different parts of the country around the forum, in the hope it will give me an idea of my own DD's chances (I'm in Devon but score information is never released here, even about your own child) - the most extensive/ authoritative lists of scores seem to be Bucks and Kent.

The raw score needed to pass in these 2 areas seems so different! Bucks seems to be up around high 80's-90% and Kent much lower, around 50%. The cohorts seem broadly similar as most children sit the test (unlike my area- superselective- where probably only above average ability children register for the test as it is an opt-in system) and select a similar proportion- Bucks 30%, Kent 25%.

So why such a difference?
Out of interest, has anyone's DC taken both tests the same year - is the Kent test much harder?
Maybe it is because Bucks tests only VR, whereas Kent (and my area) has 3 different types of test.

Are the 11+ tests and pass marks around the country really so different? Do schools hand pick the difficulty of each paper?

Does anyone have the average pass marks needed in papers, especially GL assessments, anywhere else?

I'm just interested to glean any information I can!

Actually, it just occurred to me that probably the next best kind of comparison would be to compare the 11+ Kent/ Bucks marks for 2 DCs who were consistently getting similar scores as each other in, say, GL practice papers. I wonder how simialr they would be?
Muggle

Re: Raw pass mark-How do different tests compare?

Post by Muggle »

nearly there wrote:Maybe it is because Bucks tests only VR, whereas Kent (and my area) has 3 different types of test.
Yes, I think this is the main reason. Bucks children only have VR to prepare for, whilst Kent children have to prepare for Maths, VR, NVR and Creative Writing.
yoyo123

Re: Raw pass mark-How do different tests compare?

Post by yoyo123 »

In Kent you have to apply to take the test, not all children take it.
A pass does not guarantee a grammar school place in all parts of Kent either. In East Kent we have quite a few grammar schools, whereas in the West demand far exceeds supply and so the schools take only the highest scoreres
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now