Ready to give up....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
willow_catkin

Re: Ready to give up....

Post by willow_catkin »

Thanks for all these ideas; I am just about to start with DS - partly because I know I should and partly to take my mind off waiting for March 1 for DD :(

I have been sort of putting it off as I know there will be issues, but the agreeing times and especially points system will work wonders :D
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

If we can knock the behaviour on the head then we are laughing for the rest of it.
He gets it, is a bright lad, though beware if he decides he is not in the mood!

It is easy points for him to be honest. Like my DD's reward chart includes brushing her teeth! (she is 4!)
Vic x
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

The only problem with my son is that he is a Martyr Of The Highest Order and will often just say that it's ok he doesn't want any rewards/treats anyway . :roll: Where do you go from there ??!!
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

scarlett wrote:The only problem with my son is that he is a Martyr Of The Highest Order and will often just say that it's ok he doesn't want any rewards/treats anyway . :roll: Where do you go from there ??!!
Do we share a DS? Are you my OH?

My DS could challenge yours I am sure! Is there something that he is interested in? Club Penguin, Moshi Monsters, Roblox etc? His reward could be a months membership to that? Or maybe a sport he likes? He could have a trip to see his team play? Though with the prices they charge at the moment my DS would have to earn a lot more than 50 points for that!

What about ice skating, cinema, bowling, go karting, he can choose what to have for tea, pizza and DVD night with his choice of food and DVD, he could add up points for a trip to a theme park? Friends for a sleepover, new skateboard, you will let him dye his hair blue (this is my DS's aim at the moment! Good luck trying son!!! :lol: You are just 10!)

They key with my son was to tap into his fave activity at the moment (sodding Roblox, I hate it but it is serving a purpose for me at the moment so I will let it slide) and then exploit it! :lol:
Vic x
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Fluffy...firstly, I am most definitely not your husband. :shock: Do I come across as manly ? :?

Secondly, I have offered DS all kinds of incentives ( and we now have rather more hamsters and all singing all dancing cages then I would prefer ) but he mainly becomes rather huffy and says he doesn't want to be a burden, cause me to spend more money , he will just go without etc etc. I just breezily reply " ok then ! "

The only glimmer of hope are the chats I've told DS1 is his duty as big brother to have with DS2 .He's getting him all excited about going to his school. Let's hope he does pass or that will create a whole new set of problems. :(
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

scarlett wrote:Fluffy...firstly, I am most definitely not your husband. :shock: Do I come across as manly ? :?
Hardly!
scarlett wrote:Secondly, I have offered DS all kinds of incentives ( and we now have rather more hamsters and all singing all dancing cages then I would prefer ) but he mainly becomes rather huffy and says he doesn't want to be a burden, cause me to spend more money , he will just go without etc etc. I just breezily reply " ok then ! "
This is sweet but at times like this really bl00dy irritating don't you think? How can you brib, sorry, incentivise your kids when they behave like this, it's very irresponsible of him :lol: :lol:

Here's hoping that DS1 pulls it out of the bag for you. x
Vic x
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The only glimmer of hope are the chats I've told DS1 is his duty as big brother to have with DS2 .He's getting him all excited about going to his school. Let's hope he does pass or that will create a whole new set of problems.
Scarlett, I resorted to this with DS2. I think because the other two were already at the GS he expected to go there too, but didn't really want to do the work. DS1 told him very seriously that he was so glad he had done all the hard work and it was worth it in the end. I thought it was better than running down the other schools
scary mum
devonmum

Post by devonmum »

How are you guys getting on? We haven't done anything for a few days now - break over half term... hoping that will help and come back all refreshed tomorrow... we shall see :lol:
penguin

Post by penguin »

DD seemed OK for a couple of days with some maths work I'd set her. Today, with OH at home, she showed me her answers to some mental maths questions I'd set her - I couldn't get them to tally with anything! :shock: I thought she'd answered the wrong questions, but No she'd just answered the questions wrong (incorrectly) so I did the adult thing and shoved them under a cushion and sat on it saying that we'd go through some mental maths tomorrow together. Unfortunately , I think she is turning into a teenager. :?