11plusmocktests

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fusspot99

Re: 11plusmocktests

Post by fusspot99 »

there are several around and some are advertised on this website.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thanks. I will take a look. Good luck to all those sitting at Finchley tomorrow. Pm if you fancy catching up at the coffee break. DG
Hera

Post by Hera »

My thoughts on the 11plusmocktests in Finchley today for anyone considering future tests. Well organised, thought there would be more kids taking them on the day (less than a full class). According to DS the VR was only 70 questions in 50 minutes (so not representative of the 100 questions in 45 minutes he will need to do), the Maths was 50 questions in 50 minutes. Ds said he found the Maths harder than the VR with a couple of questions he could not answer. It will be interesting to get the papers back.
I am not planning to do the Sutton mocks as they include NVR, comprehension etc that we don't need, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done them if you do get that big hall experience with hundreds of kids with the Sutton ones. What did anyone else who did the Finchley ones today think?
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

Mine said the same. That VR was easy and there was plenty of time left (several children got a puzzle sheet at the end to while away the time!) and Maths had a few Qs she didn't answer. I was disappointed by the number of pupils, I would have liked a bigger sample to compare with!
Hera

Post by Hera »

I checked with DS and he got a puzzle sheet. I wasn't overly impressed as I think he should have been checking and then checking again not doing puzzle sheets :x . In the maths he finished the last question just as the time ended.
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

Last one was a quick one apparently. On rotational symmetry. She said there was one on ratios and one on imperial to metric she didn't do. Sounded easy enough when she explained it.
toucan

Post by toucan »

Well done to all the children who sat the Finchley mock yesterday. They looked very brave sitting in there with their sandwiches at break-time.

DD only did the VR and NVR, as I thought a full session would be a bit much for a first timer.

DD said the NVR unfolded cube question was too hard for her as this type of question has not been tackled in the papers she's seen so far.

I was also worried that she finished early on the VR.

The fact that it was a small group meant that it was a more gentle introduction to the experience of a public exam and demystified the whole process.

Will wait for the feedback (two weeks) before booking in for July.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sounds like the Maths was spot on for the Watford consortium DAO, QE, Lattymer and HBS but they need a rethink on the VR. 50 in 70 minutes is no good for applicants who are going to be doing 100 in 45 minutes in five months time. Any comments on the English? Sutton mocks is the big hall experience with hundreds of children in desks and the wait outside with hordes of anxious parents. Even if you don't need the NVR and the comprehension Bel I would still recommend you do it. The comp will help you for sats and the experience for both of my dds broke the back of the whole thing and made their first real one no big deal. There were even parents there who told their dc's it was the real thing and only fessed up after! DG
toucan

Post by toucan »

Finchley results to be emailed tomorrow, Wednesday. Feedback to follow next week by post.

Toucan
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

Thank you Toucan for that.