What are you doing with your year 4 child or what did you do

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: What are you doing with your year 4 child or what did yo

Post by mystery »

Oh rats. I've read the DfE document to which it relates. No chance the school will say yes again now unless they haven't read it (distinct possibility of this though!) as they won't want their authorised absence to go up.

There are some conflicting bits though. It might still be possible somehow .... if I am an education centre (which of course I am) it can be coded differently it would appear.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Will you have to be Ofsted registered? ...
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I've just read the regulation 6(4) of the Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006. I don't think I would need to be OFSTED registered. It might be different for children under eight .... but maybe as I'm the parent even then it would be OK?

It still looks to me as though viewed this way round it is at the school's discretion. I think they're going to say that insurance is a problem ....!

Oh well, I'm going to give it a whirl and if the answer's no, pay the fines, and then go to jail!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Haven't time to read that link properly, but the boy in ds 2 class apparently has to come in every morning now...will ask his mum why when I see her....Ds says it's because he just watched tv which I know isn't true. Ds is asking to be home schooled....probably for that reason!

As regards to the maths, I found with ds going over and over the basics was really important. Otherwise he just found the word problems too time consuming and over whelming. DD seems okay with maths, am working through comprehension work and reading. Can't really bear starting again .....but out of all of mine she is the most determined and hard working....so hopefully I won't be as stressed this time!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well I'm sure it will be third time lucky Scarlett. You deserve it. I just seem to have a family of revolting (the way peasants do) dunderheads at the moment so I don't hold much hope.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I've read some of your other posts Mystery and it all seems normal for a year five let alone our girls! It is just practice...we're just feeling twitchy because we don't know if it's going to be a lot harder but your dd can't be described as a dunderhead! It will be fine :D you're probably just hormonal :P
mystery

Post by mystery »

How can I be hormonal at 80 Scarlett? It's impossible isn't it? :?:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

There must still be a whiff of hormones Mystery, if you had your last child six years ago. :P
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol:
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

scarlett wrote:As regards to the maths, I found with ds going over and over the basics was really important. Otherwise he just found the word problems too time consuming and over whelming.
Yes, my DS has a special look on his face for word problems which basically says "No, STOP, it's a word problem. I CAN'T do them" :twisted: , which is rubbish, because when he breaks it down, he's fine :roll: . Am going to have to improve his confidence on that one.

Am also going to have to improve DS's confidence in writing stories. He says " I CAN'T do it" and then proceeds to TELL me an excellent plot with great literary flashes :roll: .

APOLS for caps lock. Am tired AND hormonal!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.