any ideas for an awkward child?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
parthiban

Re: any ideas for an awkward child?

Post by parthiban »

Totally agree with Halemum, we were one of those lastminute.com prep family as going down grammar was a quick last minute decision and he did complain if I gave him a paper and put timer in front of him to go off to the kitchen to do jobs. So sat with him the whole time gave him the encouragement and help needed ; he sailed through all his exams. Did live on takeaway pretty much everyday though :lol:
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

elizabethswan wrote:Yes I am going to totally help her from now on, there's no point testing her if she's switched off and it destroys our relationship. So I'll sit with her and help her and hope for the best. That's all I can do as she doesn't respond well to pressure and unfamiliar topics. Maybe we'll have some luck!
I'm sure you will! Let us know how you get on. Good luck :D
elizabethswan

Post by elizabethswan »

I agree with last minute prep anyway, as our family very busy, and know some families who prep for 2 years or even more!!that can't be right, feel sorry for the kids, so a few months of hard work is better, in my opinion! Half a paper a day in the holidays sounds a good idea for me.
Yankmum

Post by Yankmum »

A few more thoughts for motivation: I had my DD make up the weekly schedule in the summer holiday with me, what papers, when to do them, what to review. I think she understood where she needed more work, and what we were aiming for. We broke it into bitesize chunks each week and planned lots of other fun things first, then looked how to fit in the work around the fun. I think I felt the parent panic more than she did. My DD, also a May birthday, made big leaps in the summer holidays by reviewing exactly what she needed. I recommend the GLA guides for NVR and VR, really helpful to review question types. The other suggestions of sitting together worked for us, and the constant reinforcing that it is a family endeavor, with everyone working together, siblings helping too by doing extra chores! After getting about 50% in maths and NVR in summer mocks, DD passed everywhere and is now really happy at AGGS. Good Luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now