a

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

koala

Re: Twins, one terribly stressed about exam

Post by koala »

As a parent to twin boys who was in this position three years ago, there is a lot I would like to say, but not sure I can articulate it. I believe I understand how you feel. I have one who is quicker and less accurate than the other and three years on he hasn't changed. Everything he does in life is quick, and certainly quicker than his brother - getting ready for school, eating, doing his homework, reading etc. Accept him as he is and work with it, but don't let him get away with not doing what he should be doing. If he is a bright as you believe he is, support him as best you can, take the exam and then wait for the results without stressing.

I had a chat with mine before the exams about how proud we were of both of them for their hard work and that we would make decisions about schools depending on the results. Try and persuade them individually the schools they are sitting the exams for are the right schools for them. His future is in his hands but don't give all your attention to the stressed child. Please remember your other DS and spend time with them individually if you can.

We did, quite by accident and it paid off. Two weeks before the exam, my more accurate, reliable and steady DS was taken poorly to his bed for a day. I took the opportunity to spend a couple of hours with 'fast DC' going through NVR with him as he never scored as highly as his brother. I could focus on him and him alone. It really gave him a boost and when the results came out he had scored more highly than his brother on NVR which we were very surprised at.

So give them both a chance at grammar and if he doesn't want to do the work once you have explained to him the benefits of studying, that's up to him. Let them both do the exam and make decisions once you know the results.

We know of two sets of twins who are at separate schools, one at a grammar and one at a comprehensive, and all four are doing very well.

You will go through a whole host of emotions around exam and results time and this continues as they go through their school years, end of year exams, GCSEs as they are always doing them at the same time which heightens the stress for you, far more than a parent of a single child going through it. If one does well and the other doesn't we don't celebrate the one who has done well as much as we should as we are sensitive to the other, and so it goes on.

I have just seen that you are in Warks. Dss took the South Warks and Birmingham exams.

Good luck to you and your family.

Koala
mystery

Post by mystery »

Also meant to say take a look at the dfe 2012 performance tables at gcse for the comps you feel worried about. See what percentage of the children were level 5 on admission ( the high band) and what percentage of those made expected progress in maths and English. It may help your school choices.
mystery

Post by mystery »

And also to add that this prep a lot of people do which focuses so much on the score is confidence sapping. You could prepare in other ways.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Lll
Last edited by Yamin151 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Fff
Last edited by Yamin151 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Sss