Parents evening + 11 plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
abc72

Re: Parents evening + 11 plus

Post by abc72 »

Thank you sylverysea and Tinkers.

How do we know if the school does or not - is it OK to ask the teachers?

If they don't do in the school, is there a way of doing it ourselves, how do we go about it?

What is the score needed for this - where can I find more information?

Many thanks.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

If the school do them you will be possibly told the results. At DDs primary all her class were told the results, the other class weren't. Parents only knew if a parent from DDs class told them or their DC told them they had done 'some strange tests' and they then asked the teacher.
I can't see why you shouldn't ask the teachers if the school do them and if your DC already has. I suspect your DC will know if they have done though. The year they are taken will vary from school to school. Some schools do them two or three times during primary.

You can't sit them privately. Like the 11+ itself it is a snapshot on the day and if they phased by them they would have not scored highly.

The score given is a standardised score like 11+ scores, but standardised over the wider population. If you don't know about standardisation look on this website under 11+ advice and also
http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... sation.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abc72

Post by abc72 »

Tinkers. Thank you for your information and time. My DC usually tells about the happenings in school, so I guess the school has not done this yet. My DC is in Year 5.

Thanks again.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Our primary did CATs. DC didn't realize it and School never bothered to tell us about it. After reading about it at this very forum, we asked the school if they would take CATs and to our surprize, they gave us the score. None of teachers ever mentioned about 11+ or grammars. From their scheduling of events in year 6, it seems School actually discourage applying to grammars.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thanks every1 for all the advice, yes i am diying my Ds... can't afford tutoring atm as private fees are extortionate :shock: i honestly think that the 11 plus teacher at his school has no idea at all which makes me mad considering the fees i am paying :shock: my Ds comes home with homework of photocopied from the cpg books, does the teacher not think that parents already have these books :!: Don't get me wrong the school is excellent and he is currently at level 5b and i received some really good comments from some teachers :) he has also improved his maths which i was very happy with asthis is his weakest subject... all the teachers really care and they really knowmy Ds well but this new teacher teaching the 11 plus was very brusque :evil: :evil: and said ' i really don't think he'll be suitable for the 11 plus'
Pheasantchick We are based in Birmingham and Ds first exam will be queen marys.
I hear what you're saying Tinkers about yourDd i don't think this teacher knows or is knowledgeable about the 11 plus i wonder what her background is?
I am just going to continue with the original structure that this 11 plus forum has so kindly helped me with and hopefully he'll be in good stead to do well, he is going to do another cat test in 2 months so hoping he has improved more. thank you all... :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Cat woman, if he is a true level 5 already then there is no doubt he is gs material, the 11+ teacher seems to be basing her thoughts on an irrelevant test.

Cat tests are a bit here and there i.m.o as my young man scores far better on the cats than his every day work would lead you to believe was possible.

Not sure how/why your school are cat testing every 6 months, the glr test is updated each year and is age standardised, don't know about nfer. As cat test results are not something that are supposed to change year on year past the margins given, unless the child has one off peculiar circumstances, to test again so soon seems daft?

Time to speak to the head, with 6 months to go you do not want to be worrying about an 11+ teacher's somewhat scewed opinion, you are paying big bucks for your sons education and deserve to have a full explanation of how this teacher has derived her opinion of your sons ability. Also she should be working with something a bit better than photocopied cog work books too...not sure they are even legally supposed to copy published work books? You may wish to point that out. :wink:

Good luck, I will be honest and say I disagree with schools coaching fir 11+ years in core hours, but if that is part of your package, like any service you should have the essential criteria fulfilled for the school to complete their obligation to you and your son.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thanks SB3 there always having tests at my Ds school :!: They say its about ensuring that their levels are improving. I have booked an appt with the 11 plus teacher and the deputy so i can get more of an idea of Ds test. :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Was the teacher brought in to do 11 plus and nothing else? What is her background? Is she an authority on all the local 11 plus exams? What material does she use? Based on your experience so far I would discount everything she says. DG
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

The teacher was brought in in year 5 i've never seen her before, my Ds comes home with homework from her which is clearly from free websites on the net, i know because i've seen it before and already given it to my Ds. I don't know what her background is, she didnt even know that the comp was m/c :shock: still i am very frustrated with all of this but i will be meeting with the deputy soon to get more of an idea...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now