Where did it all go wrong?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Colmans

Re: Where did it all go wrong?

Post by Colmans »

11 plus (Kent test) used to be sat in October time. DCs then made school selections not knowing if they had passed. This was a complete stress for parents and Dcs as they would go and look at schools, and potentially fall in love with a selective school, only to then find out DC was not suitable.

About 7 years ago they pulled the date to early September. This then allowed LAs to send out the results in early October so that parents and DC could go and look at the schools knowing if they had a pass or not. It allows parents and DS to focus on the probable options and have better 2nd and 3rd options within the school choices.

It must also save the LAs a ton of admin as they dont have to shift through tons of applications where parents had made choices that were not viable.
gowest

Post by gowest »

The article is worth reading http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33655791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I do find this sad reading. I went to Grammar school back in the 70s and the majority of us were from working class humble backgrounds. We were most definitely a fair cross section of society.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

"Some of the 'extra' is made up of soft skills - for example - presentation, conduct in social settings, accent - which have little to do with productivity and a lot to do with what economists refer to as 'signalling'."

I often wonder if this should not be ignored in state schools.

My school was state comprehensive, but the head and teachers were mostly left over from its grammar days and a recently closed local private girls school. I am not saying we all have finishing school manners but each table had two teachers allocated to it in the dining room, we had "proper" dancing lessons, were absolutely not allowed to use slang or heaven forbid swear in the halls or corridors and had to take tea with the head in groups of four or five on our birthdays. We also used to have things like a metre rule shuvved up our blazer back if we slouched when seated and our horrible French teacher balanced books on our heads whilst we read.
A selection of us were also sent out to spend lunch with various local big wigs from time to time.
We hated all of it of course and relished the years the teachers were working to rule so we could just loiter around the local streets at lunchtime. :lol: However I do find I correct myself if I slouch, still hearing certain voices even now.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Manners maketh man and cost nothing.

I get so cross when people fail to say please and thank you, don't hold a door open etc etc. As for table manners don't get me started :lol: I know this is not what this report is specifically going on about but it's all part of the same thing. I may just have to change my name to Victor (Meldrew) I'm getting grumpier as I get older!!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Agree with above posts by doodles and sb3.
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

gowest wrote:The article is worth reading http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33655791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a fundamental reason for this kind of "glass floor", and it is inherent in the human psyche. People recruit, promote, and protect from dismissal in their own image and likeness; social class, accent, "old school tie", freemasonry (I could turn your blood cold with examples of this one), etc., and I have seen it in action in the many organisations I have worked in, over the many years I have worked. It is "tribal", and it will always exist in one form or another.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now