Can you buy your way into a grammar school??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Re: Can you buy your way into a grammar school??

Post by Tolstoy »

Congratulations to your DS 11+mum-returned.

In answer to the question. I don't think you can necessarily buy your way into a Grammar school but I think having money to throw at it does help.

Some DC despite going to tutors or benefiting from a DIY parent who can afford to buy all the practice materials still do not achieve the entry requirements.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Well done to you and your DC, returned Mum. What is your point?

We paid for tuition. We did DIY support at home with lots of practical and emotional support from this forum.

Maybe we overdid it. Maybe DD is undeserving.

In all walks of life, money helps but a lot of people also trip up because they rely on money to fix everything.

I have no regrets and and am not apologising to anyone. :D
11+mum.returned

Post by 11+mum.returned »

Thanks Modernista,

My point is as stated in my original post.

......'To re-iterate that buying extra tuition is right for some, but not for all. But mainly to say to any disbelievers that yes, success CAN be achieved without it'......

You paid for tuition and supported at home. I have never said that is wrong; it was the right thing for you and your DC.

We did not pay for tuition and we did support at home. That was right for us. My point was aimed at the disbelievers..and there have been quite a few over the last 8 years, who think that it cannot be done succesfully this way. It can.

Like you, I have no regrets. We both did what was right for our family :)
11+mum.returned

Thanks Tolstoy :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You mentioned following the primary school's programme. Did they offer classes or are you talking about the KS2 syllabus followed in class? DG
11+mum.returned

Daogroupie wrote:You mentioned following the primary school's programme. Did they offer classes or are you talking about the KS2 syllabus followed in class? DG
Just the KS2 syllabus followed in class
susanass

Post by susanass »

11+mum.returned wrote:Thanks Modernista,

My point was aimed at the disbelievers..and there have been quite a few over the last 8 years, who think that it cannot be done succesfully this way. It can.

Well done to your child but....does it really matter which way you choose to prepare your child? Each to their own is what I say. There is also a general belief that those who pay for tutoring and gain a place at grammar are depriving the "more able" children of a grammar school place, many don't say it, but they think it! Something I strongly disagree with. I know of many children who were always "middle of the class" throughout their primary years, were privately tutored and are now thriving in a grammar school. And others who were on the top table throughout primary, were "tutored" by mum at home, and now can't keep up or have lost interest! Every child gets it at a different age. Preparation is key to passing any test in life, whether it be paying for private tuition, or mum printing off papers every day also "tutoring" for free at home. I have also read stories of parents who chose not to tutor or prepare their child and now regret it as their child did not pass. Any parent who wants the best for their child will prepare their child in their own way. No one really knows what goes on behind closed doors anyway.....
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

An interesting article against all forms of tutors through life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... dents.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

susanass wrote:
11+mum.returned wrote:Thanks Modernista,

My point was aimed at the disbelievers..and there have been quite a few over the last 8 years, who think that it cannot be done succesfully this way. It can.

Well done to your child but....does it really matter which way you choose to prepare your child? Each to their own is what I say. There is also a general belief that those who pay for tutoring and gain a place at grammar are depriving the "more able" children of a grammar school place, many don't say it, but they think it! Something I strongly disagree with. I know of many children who were always "middle of the class" throughout their primary years, were privately tutored and are now thriving in a grammar school. And others who were on the top table throughout primary, were "tutored" by mum at home, and now can't keep up or have lost interest! Every child gets it at a different age. Preparation is key to passing any test in life, whether it be paying for private tuition, or mum printing off papers every day also "tutoring" for free at home. I have also read stories of parents who chose not to tutor or prepare their child and now regret it as their child did not pass. Any parent who wants the best for their child will prepare their child in their own way. No one really knows what goes on behind closed doors anyway.....
Perfectly put. +1
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

Yamin151, couldn't have said it any better. I always say "if you cannot DIY, then get somebody to do it for you". I have never believed in not preparing a child. So what happens in adulthood? Not prepare for a job interview. I would not want my child to think that I could not be bothered to invest time or even money to give him or her a chance.