Mad threads about lunatic commutes to the grammars....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Mad threads about lunatic commutes to the grammars....

Post by ToadMum »

DC17C wrote:I believe from a recent newspaper article there maybe children travelling from Slough to Stroud in Gloucestershire and also North Shropshire to Cheltenham....... :shock: :?
I think the 'Slough to Stroud' thing has been discussed on the forum sometime in the not too distant past?

Please say the other one is a wind-up :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

I learned the other day (horse's mouth) of a child doing an Oxford to Gloucester commute daily.

OK as I was posting this my sons told me of someone with a 2 hour 25 minute (!) each way trip. It is real. But I won't post it as it might identify someone.

Guys: not worth it, I promise you. Great school, sure, but not that great.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Amber wrote:I learned the other day (horse's mouth) of a child doing an Oxford to Gloucester commute daily.

OK as I was posting this my sons told me of someone with a 2 hour 25 minute (!) each way trip. It is real. But I won't post it as it might identify someone.

Guys: not worth it, I promise you. Great school, sure, but not that great.
That makes me feel so sad...that is another school day every day. I really struggle to see how it could be worth putting a child throught that. We are pondering the commute from Hucclecote to Stroud for sixth form that seems enough for my dd....but hey ho
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

ToadMum wrote:
DC17C wrote:I believe from a recent newspaper article there maybe children travelling from Slough to Stroud in Gloucestershire and also North Shropshire to Cheltenham....... :shock: :?
I think the 'Slough to Stroud' thing has been discussed on the forum sometime in the not too distant past?

These are commutes by choice and truly mad.It makes you question how much some parents really love their children.It maybe they have forgotten their own childhoods.

In some parts of the world children have little choice on their commutes if they want a schooling.I appreciate one of these commutes has got easier ? with new steel ladders.

http://www.boredpanda.com/dangerous-journey-to-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We clearly do have choices and for someone who has commuted it has been one of my life's miseries
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

At least most British children don't have to get up at 5am for their school journey: https://schoolsonline.britishcouncil.or ... ya-primary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

quasimodo wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

These are commutes by choice and truly mad.It makes you question how much some parents really love their children.It maybe they have forgotten their own childhoods.

In some parts of the world children have little choice on their commutes if they want a schooling.I appreciate one of these commutes has got easier ? with new steel ladders.

http://www.boredpanda.com/dangerous-journey-to-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We clearly do have choices and for someone who has commuted it has been one of my life's miseries
Ah, but if you really loved your child, you would not deny them the opportunity of a good education, would you?(??? :shock: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Large numbers travel from East London to Colchester and as alluded to in an earlier post the parents will not even contemplate using public transport it MUST be a private coach...on a good day it's 45mins to an hour each way on the train, which is the fastest route, plus a bus trip/very long walk at the end to boot.

Commuting from Dagenham to colchester is not unheard of either. Not just mad in terms of distance but also in terms of there is no direct route between the two places.
RomfordDad

Post by RomfordDad »

streathammum wrote:If there's no grammar school within reasonable travel distance of your house, it probably means that the schools that are nearby are genuinely comprehensive and able to cater for really bright kids.
Or maybe not, that's the other option, and probably as probable as the one you mention.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

You're really not a fan of comprehensive education, are you? I am.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

There is a grammar school in Ilford. But, of course, not as hot as QE. There in the problem lies for dads & mums. 'Our boy got in QE'. H e l l of travel is secondary matter.