Feeling guilty - ICHS or Latymer

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wordfeud

Feeling guilty - ICHS or Latymer

Post by Wordfeud »

I was wondering... if my son got 115.63 as his standardised score which is good for Ilford County (where he has been accepted) would he have gotten into Latymer? That's where he wanted to go and I never even looked into it so now I feel guilty :(

Anyone know the lowest score Latymer too this year? X
ToadMum

Re: Feeling guilty - ICHS or Latymer

Post by ToadMum »

Wordfeud wrote:I was wondering... if my son got 115.63 as his standardised score which is good for Ilford County (where he has been accepted) would he have gotten into Latymer? That's where he wanted to go and I never even looked into it so now I feel guilty :(

Anyone know the lowest score Latymer too this year? X
I may be completely wrong here, but I'm not sure how this would work, if you didn't register with Latymer initially and therefore ask for his raw scores in the exam to be standardised with the Latymer cohort. Apart from the fact that latoner only told people whether they were in the top 186, or what their DC's ranking was, not their standardised score, only if all the people who registered their DC for ICHS (and for WCHS, as Latymer is mixed) also registered them for Latymer or vice versa would a candidate's standardised score for both schools be exactly the same. Since Latymer and the Redbridge grammar schools each have defined catchment areas, with not a huge area of overlap, this is unlikely. Even given the problem that there seems to be this year with the number of candidates ranked in the top 450 for Latymer who don't actually live in its catchment.

First question, then - do you actually live in the Latymer catchment area? Only if you do, would it be worth contacting the school to ask whether at this stage they would be able to ask CEM to rank your DS for them.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Wordfeud

Post by Wordfeud »

Yes we live in the catchment area - I think it might be too late as we have accepted Ilford County?!? :|
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Wordfeud wrote:Yes we live in the catchment area - I think it might be too late as we have accepted Ilford County?!? :|
From that point of view, no, it wouldn't be too late, but it would depend on the ability to make a late application to Latymer, which might be an issue for the season I have suggested above. You presumably need to speak to the admissions officer at Latymer in the first instance.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now