Grammars, no thanks!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Fran17 wrote:The most important thing is to make all our children feel special - and most people I know feel the same as we do. :D
President Bush's mum was giving an interview. The reporter remarked, "You must be very proud of your son." "Yes, I am. But I am equally proud of my other son", she replied. If we can give our DC support and love then Gs or comp doesn't really matter.
Fran17

Re: Grammars, no thanks!

Post by Fran17 »

Well said bromley mum! :D :D :D
cindrella

Post by cindrella »

I think you all are very right, Although we made our child try the entrances and my child did go through and get into a Grammer school. But that is not the end of everything. I know children who go to our local comprehensive school and they do really well so much that they do some a level subjects early while they are in GCSEs!! It is like a big fish in a small pond if DC is clever and he/she could get a real boost or a small fish in a big pond where no matter how clever you are - everyone is!!
It is not one size fits all here. We have to know what is best for our child and go with full support for them and they will do well no matter which school.
School is not THE and only factor and we really do worry too much and get upset about it!!
Cinderella
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Well said Cindrella! :D As my mum always says cream always rises to the top! :D
Maybelle

Post by Maybelle »

Hear, Hear...
:D :D :D
Inside of every mother is a school girl wondering what the *ell just happened???
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Have been struggling with ''to GS or not to GS'' ourselves. I've posted on the subject previously. Your story rings a bell - and to add to the theme, I've just bumped into neighbour's DD who went to the local mixed comp (that so many local parents seem to avoid) where she got 15 A*'s at GCSE (yes 15!!!). And she's just left university with a 1st and is delighted.

I went to local comp, didn't work at all, although was reasonably bright and left with 2 O'levels. Really could have done with the rocket fuel of a grammar I reckon. Yet OH and I (who went to state Grammar himself and is convinced it made him work through a massive lazy streak) still dont know what to do for the best for DD. She's bright and could go to either GS or good local girls comp as they're both very good, but results for GS higher. Tis conundrum!
Maybelle

Post by Maybelle »

Doblinski wrote: I went to local comp, didn't work at all, although was reasonably bright and left with 2 O'levels. Really could have done with the rocket fuel of a grammar I reckon. Yet OH and I (who went to state Grammar himself and is convinced it made him work through a massive lazy streak) still dont know what to do for the best for DD. She's bright and could go to either GS or good local girls comp as they're both very good, but results for GS higher. Tis conundrum!

Then why not cover both options? Both of my DS's at Grammar. DS1 because, although naive back then, we decided that we had to at least give him the chance to try. DS2 the Grammar was the best / only option for his needs (he needed to be pushed to work) - so they had no choice :!: :) Our DD was entered for Grammar and Inde test. However, when we went to view all schools we were blown away by the Academy school that she will now attend. Until last September it had been Inde and has retained its small size and lovely atmosphere. We decided that the Academy had to be our first choice state school. She was taken ill during grammar test - so didnt finish the 2nd part. She was offered a place at Inde - which we were over the moon with, at the time, but no bursary so hey-ho :wink: She will now be starting at the Academy in September and we couldnt be happier :lol: With what we either know now, or have heard re the other two schools, it's by far the best choice... perhaps we should have just gone with our initial feelings at the school open days :?: Just had her report and teacher assessment results today - Level 5 - She will do just fine... :D
Inside of every mother is a school girl wondering what the *ell just happened???
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Sorry couldn't resist this one
President Bush's mum was giving an interview. The reporter remarked, "You must be very proud of your son." "Yes, I am. But I am equally proud of my other son", she replied
Guess only a mother could love em - not sure rest of the world would necessarly agree :wink: :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I wonder which one she meant ? Jeb, Neil or Marvin?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Maybe she was blessed with the intellectual prowess of her most famous son and could not count beyond 2.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now