which practice papers for london/surrey independents?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumtries

which practice papers for london/surrey independents?

Post by mumtries »

Letts, GL assessment, exam ninja, Bond- there are sooo many which ones should I choose to practise comprehension ?
Bazelle

Re: which practice papers for london/surrey independents?

Post by Bazelle »

Can you be a bit more specific in your choice of schools? IMHO I don't think this DIY approach would be enough for top selective schools in London, I would go for a proper tutor, but I must confess that I used a full artillery and probably went over the top with our 11+ preparation.

I would look at past papers from top selective schools, lots of schools provide them on their websites.

It also depends whether you are in a prep school or state school and what the competition is like for the schools you have in mind, let alone your child's abilities.
mumtries

Post by mumtries »

Hampton and Kings, St James as back up.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Hampton and Kings are notoriously difficult. We did and pass Hampton at 11+ after just missing out at the 10+, the maths were a killer and the verbal reasoning really really difficult according to my son. We didn't try Kings. I would suggest Examberry practice papers in maths, english, VR and NVR, they are more difficult than the others you mentioned, if he aces them you are ok, otherwise you will have an idea of his weaknesses and can concentrate on them. Good luck.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

The comprehensions will be very different to the multiple choice options. We used past papers from Alleyns, Dulwich College, Westminster Under etc. The Manchester Grammar School papers were good for maths as there are a few, all with answers. Ditto, the Withington Girls school papers which you can buy but unfortunately there is no answer booklet. I would say these are a good level for the higher tier selective independents. Look at the old Level 6 SATS papers with sample mark sheets for the different grades. It will give you a very clear idea of the level of detail you need to put in for Comps and creative writing.
mumtries

Post by mumtries »

This is very worrying. I can't find a tutor with space and those I've spoken to are reluctant to say what I should practice with which I do understand as we are in competition with them. To any tutors out there..please please PM me if you can advise me but don't wish to share across the forum.