Don't guess CEM multiple choice 11+ questions? Any thoughts?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marylou

Re: Don't guess CEM multiple choice 11+ questions? Any thoug

Post by Marylou »

On page 2 of the Buckinghamshire CEM familiarisation booklet, the last three bullet points in the instructions for answering the questions are:

- Candidates should attempt to answer as many questions as they can. If they find a question that they cannot answer, they should move on to the next question until they reach the end of the section.

- Candidates will not lose marks for incorrect answers.
(my highlighting)

- If there is time left at the end of a section, candidates should go back and answer any questions they have missed, but within that section only.

This clearly indicates that, while guessing is not encouraged, candidates will not be penalised for doing so. Indeed, it makes sense to guess before moving on to the next question as leaving a gap could result in getting out of synch when answering the rest of the questions, apart from anything else.
Marylou
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

It's tricky. The only mock paper my child ever failed was due to spending too long over one question. But you don't want them to start skipping questions without taking a moment to realise they can actually do them. On balance, you probably want them to take a quick educated best guess then move on.
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

My DC strategy to guess and move on but put asterisk next to question paper so DC knows to come back and check it again if time permits.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

neo1232 wrote:My DC strategy to guess and move on but put asterisk next to question paper so DC knows to come back and check it again if time permits.
Which sounds like the perfect strategy :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx