Sutton Mock B a lot harder than Slot A especially Maths

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TW7Karthi

Re: Sutton Mock B a lot harder than Slot A especially Maths

Post by TW7Karthi »

Guest 55, So how do you convince yourself the benefits of these mocks ? Only Std Score or Percentage or Rank ?

Real tests, students will vary ( example: Girsl won't appear for boys exam, then some boys who missed a place in this mock will write real exam) so the whole Std score will be changing isn't ?

I think personally mock is to familiarize kids the exam hall environment and making themselves confident in such new places then simple things like arranging pencil or erasers.

For me as parent as well, how to prepare kids on exam day, driving parking mock :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We don't need mocks in Bucks.

If all you want is to practise in a strange environment then fair enough but the results are meaningless! The cohorts for these mocks bear no relation to the actual cohort as many families won't bother.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Over 50% of the 1600 got 50% or under in the Maths.

It will be interesting to see if GL can come up with a harder paper then this for QE.

Of course it will not be directly comparable as this was standard format and QE is multiple choice.

DG
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I think there is a lot of value in practicing in a real exam setting. It's been an eye-opener for my DD about how important it is to use her time well in exams. She has understood far more about the need for speed and for not dwelling on tricky questions by taking the mock than by doing timed tests at home. She's also learned about how the exams work - the unfamiliar setting, the need to read the instructions, what she can take in with her and what she can't, making sure she can see a clock or her watch - it means she can focus on the actual content of the test and not have to worry about the unfamiliar admin that surrounds them.

The information about how she performed on the day has been interesting but it doesn't really tell us whether she's going to pass the SET or not.
Last edited by streathammum on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Daogroupie wrote:Over 50% of the 1600 got 50% or under in the Maths.

It will be interesting to see if GL can come up with a harder paper then this for QE.

Of course it will not be directly comparable as this was standard format and QE is multiple choice.

DG
Have you ever seen an actual QE paper? The difficulty is irrelevant as the results are standardised!

It does not follow that it was difficult just because raw scores were low.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Guest55 wrote:It is pointless as has been pointed out - the RANKING is what matters!

That's why tests are standardised and, later, grade boundaries vary.

I'm surprised at this lack of understanding ...
Im surprised you are surprised. If the Bucks forum is anything to go by, there seem to be two laws in effect, an inverse correlation and an inverse square law.

1. The amount of money expended, time spent and pressure exerted on a child's preparation for the test is inversely correlated to the parent's understanding of the very test and system they're taking.

2. A parent's understanding of the Bucks system is inversely proportional to the square of their distance from Bucks, even though they've opted into it.

One fundamental part of good exam technique is to thoroughly read and understand the instructions. That discipline seems to pass many parents by even though they expect their children to exercise it.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:It is pointless as has been pointed out - the RANKING is what matters!

Possibly you're not, really... :lol:

I must admit to thinking that no wonder it's so difficult to get a place for one of these Sutton mock exams, when apparently half the population of North London and Hertfordshire has taken a place at at least one of them?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

anotherdad wrote:

Im surprised you are surprised. If the Bucks forum is anything to go by, there seem to be two laws in effect, an inverse correlation and an inverse square law.

1. The amount of money expended, time spent and pressure exerted on a child's preparation for the test is inversely correlated to the parent's understanding of the very test and system they're taking.

2. A parent's understanding of the Bucks system is inversely proportional to the square of their distance from Bucks, even though they've opted into it.

One fundamental part of good exam technique is to thoroughly read and understand the instructions. That discipline seems to pass many parents by even though they expect their children to exercise it.
Naughty anotherdad!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: