Can't be the only one who's bored of receiving lectures!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2stressed

Post by 2stressed »

How interesting! On our playground it is the exact opposite. If you tell people you are not putting your child in for the 11+ they look at you like you have two heads. My DD is taking it but I fully believe that if she doesn't pass and goes to the local comp, which has fab results, she will thrive. But if you try and say this to people they turn their nose up and you can tell they are thinking 'well that's not what I'd do'.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Being OOC, I often get approached by parents who are genuinely interested in how to "get in" to the grammar school, having had a successful outcome with DD1 and now trying again with DD2. I have not experienced any hostile reaction so far (perhaps I'm too thick-skinned to notice! :lol: ) but I frequently find myself debunking various myths. It's amazing how these persist, e.g. "Such and such a place is in the catchment area" (it isn't and never was, as it's OOC) or "You have to score above 130 to stand a chance" (until a few years ago the VRT score was taken into account for OOC applicants, but now it's distance). "You have to send your children to a tutor" and "what do you mean, there isn't a bus?" I can also spot fibs "So and so's son passed the test, but there wasn't a place at the first-choice school so he was offered another grammar school instead but didn't accept it as it was too far away" when "so and so" lives comfortably within the allocation distance for their first choice of school! (Of course I keep very quiet on hearing stories like this, but if someone asks me to explain the rules in general terms then I'm only too pleased!)
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now