Newstead Wood entrance 2019 - cut off scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fiedi

Re: Newstead Wood entrance 2019 - cut off scores

Post by Fiedi »

How do we find out what position we are on the waiting list pls?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Fiedi wrote:How do we find out what position we are on the waiting list pls?
an initial letter sent by the school after offer day to those who missed out (maybe only to a top ? Number) I gather should have told you the waitlist position unless you were not in a priority category (I.e outside the 9 mile catchment). I am also not clear if they have a cut off for giving waitlist positions e.g after waitlist number 50 etc. Did you get this letter? If not, or if your letter didn’t state the waitlist position, then talk with the admissions team at the school. I do not know how many of these types of letter the school sends out. I think judging by past movement from 1 march to start of term in September the movement was only ever a few points, maybe seven at absolute most. A movement from this year’s cut off down to 212 is highly unlikely - sorry.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I have just heard via PM that someone with an original waitlist number of 10 has just been offered a place. We know there was movement of 9 places (not necessarily equalling 9 offers) around Easter and whether this latest offer is a one off or part of a batch we do not know.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I’ve heard by PM that someone a way down the waitlist had moved 20 places since offer day. We don’t know if all of this movement is places offered or not, some may be people happy with another preference or choosing independent etc. If anyone else has information do either post to this thread or PM me if you don’t want to announce publicly. If you can state your original waitlist position on 1 March and which category that would be helpful.

This Thursday, 27th June is the new Y7 induction day. There can be a small movement after this from those who don’t turn up and when the school follows up they find they had no intention of taking the place - if this is you please tell the school now so the right girls can get to go on the induction day. In DD’s year I think it was only two across the whole year group who they found weren’t going so we aren’t always talking large numbers.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I hope the prospective Y7s enjoyed their time on Thursday.

DD bemoaned the fact that due to the influx there were no puddings or snacks left. If your girls came home saying the catering is bad you may be interested to know there is due to be a change of caterer from September. Who will be the new caterer, I don’t know, but I understand it involved students finding maggots in food and the Head taking decisive action and terminating the contract.

I also understand there were a few last minute calls prior to the induction day and three or four girls were offered places off the waitlist and were able to attend the induction. I don’t know the waitlist position or score it has gone down to.
Anna2018

Post by Anna2018 »

Hello all,

Do we have an update of what the lowest score to be offered a place was this year?

Many thanks
Anna
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The information from PMs and this thread is thus far is:
Offer day: 223 offered
Original waitlist postition 10, score 222, offered in May
Original waitlist postition mid 20s, score not given, offered late June

Unknown:
Original waitlist postition 42nd, score 217
Original waitlist position 57th, score 215

Last year we know from other posters that in July original waitlist position 23, score of 219 was offered. The starting point for scores last year was one point lower that this year at 222 (but not all 222 scores initially offered).

Does anyone have anything more recent to add to this?
There may be the odd place that crops up when the girls turn up at school in two weeks time and someone who decided to go the independent route doesn't show up. It is rare to have a no-show but you never know!
Anna2018

Post by Anna2018 »

Very helpful summary, thank you.

So looks like the score required went up a little this year. Nowhere near 215 low it was a few years ago.

No surprise i suppose as so many more children are getting tutored, the average score goes up :(

Sitting the exam this September. so worried for my daughter...
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Anna2018 wrote: Nowhere near 215 low it was a few years ago.

No surprise i suppose as so many more children are getting tutored, the average score goes up :(

Sitting the exam this September. so worried for my daughter...
215 was a record low and one year only and I think many people were put off by happenings at the school at that time rather than required scores going up. Before that it was often higher scores around 224/225 on offer day, but with a bit more movement down to around 218/219 so a range of about 6 points. Apart from the blip year, more recently the offer has started a point or two lower but then not moved very much, maybe with a movement range of around 4 or 5 points. People are being very quiet though so it could be that there has been more movement - just we haven't heard.

Good luck to your daughter!
Fiedi

Post by Fiedi »

Does anyone know what the final cut off point was this year 2019?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now