Open Days - where have all the children gone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

I specifically haven't gone to any of the local high school 'open days'. An old trick my OH's old school used to do was to send troublesome students on field trips on the days of open days, or on ofsted inspection, one mother got a letter saying 'it would be beneficial to the school if **** did not attend school during our OFSTED inspection'......she showed me the letter, I was floored! The above is my reasons for going unannounced and lying - saying 'we have just moved into the area and wish to look around your school'.
nutmeg

Post by nutmeg »

Have been to Trinity in Erith - full of children, very clean still and all the children were very attentive in the classrooms. Love this school. All the teachers seem really approachable as well. My 1st choice even over Dartford Grammar which I don't think we will get in with the distance anyway.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Some schools such as GGS this week are also doing curriculum development week. There are students over in Spain, doing team building camps, on trips to various places all over - so it will be quiet this week - but open days not till November.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Nutmeg - I know children who have passed the 11+ in previous years and have elected to go to Trinity. In fact one of ds3's friends passed this year but wants to go there.
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

I also visited Trinity today, my husband loved it and wants my DS to attend. My DS was keen, but there's something I can't put my finger on. I'm concerned that it will not be academically challenging enough. Also the language and music GCSE results were not fab. The results as a whole are improving each year and the ethos of the school is very good. Oh cripes I can not decide it is so hard, and of course it is not just my decision.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Trinity didn't feel right for us either and we don'know why. Did you come to a decision?
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

I think it will be Trinity for us as the only other school I like is Hurstmere and he is unlikely to get in due to distance. I'm put off of St. Columbas now, there were far few negatives to positives. Just need to make sure we don't change our mind like we did last night.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

If you apply online you can keep changing your mind. :roll:
Any 2nd/3rd choices?