Bexley Grammar VS Chis & Sid V Beths V Dartford Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

When the process will end - how are you getting on? Any nearer a decision?!
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

Not really..

We have been to the open evening of Beths and Chis & Sid in Bexley and if we have to choose between the two we will go for Chis & Sid.

We will also be visiting BGS and Dartford Boys this week. It is very tiring and difficult to make these decisions based on one visit to the school..
Peter31

Post by Peter31 »

Wife and daughter just back from BGS open morning and very impressed. I shall visit this evening, but we're moving towads this as our first option rather than take Newstead Wood exam. Mixed gender and proximity are a definate plus.
DD still hasn't dropped the idea of NW yet, as she has picked up on rumours it's 'the best', but I believe BGS may be a better all round option. We shall decide tonight.
madofbexley

Post by madofbexley »

My DS started at BGS this September and absolutely loves it. Not only is he enjoying the lessons and degree of stretch they provide, but also the vast range of extra curricular activities on offer.
My DD passed her 11+ this year and will also be going there next Sep.

Although my son is very intelligent, he is very shy and I did worry about secondary school in general. But BGS seems to have really allowed him to flourish .

I have no regrets about this school at all.

The 89 bus goes straight to the school from Lewisham and Blackheath
Woodham

Post by Woodham »

When the process will end, what schools did you put on your CAF form in the end?

I've got a son in Year 5 so I'll be really stressing about what school to send my child around this time next year although I'm already starting to worry about it!! :?

Our first choice was always St Olaves and we have our fingers crossed.

Though our DS was a little apprehensive (possibly because of the walk from the station) we liked Dartford Grammar a lot (IB etc) and it is convenient to travel. We hope that he will get it at 411 if he misses St Olaves.

Among the Bexley schools we thought that BGS was the best but it is not very convenient to travel and is our last choice.
Woodham

Post by Woodham »

when the process will end wrote:Our first choice was always St Olaves and we have our fingers crossed.

Though our DS was a little apprehensive (possibly because of the walk from the station) we liked Dartford Grammar a lot (IB etc) and it is convenient to travel. We hope that he will get it at 411 if he misses St Olaves.

Among the Bexley schools we thought that BGS was the best but it is not very convenient to travel and is our last choice.
I've got my fingers crossed for you and you DS. :)

I noticed you said that you prefered Chis 'n' Sid to Beths after visiting both schools during their open evenings. Why was this? What was the impression you got from both schools when you visted? I've heard many good things about both schools and both seem to be roughly the same in terms of A-level and GCSE results. Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to plan ahead. :)
twix

Post by twix »

i had a terrible time deciding which school to opt for my ds. i had always liked dartford grammar, but got cold feet at the last minute because i was worried about the ib. i understand that you have to pass all parts of it to get the qualification. i was just too worried my son would not be good or enjoy languages. otherwise i loved the school. we decided beths in the end, but even now i wonder if i did the right thing!! we also are giving st. olaves ago, but know this is going to be very difficult - but you never know!! i am just very grateful my son passed the tests, because i know so many children who are grammar school material just did not perform well on day, and could have easily been my son.
crazydaisy

Post by crazydaisy »

Twix!
Don't worry - we've got one son at Beths and one at St Olaves and they are both really good schools. Both boys are very happy, and the staff are caring and excellent teachers. You can't lose! :D

Woodham wrote:
when the process will end wrote:I noticed you said that you prefered Chis 'n' Sid to Beths after visiting both schools during their open evenings. Why was this? What was the impression you got from both schools when you visted? I've heard many good things about both schools and both seem to be roughly the same in terms of A-level and GCSE results. Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to plan ahead. :)
Woodham

The choice of school is very personal and there are no right or wrong answers really as far as GS are concerned. It is also dependent on children with whom one interacts at the open days.

Our guide for Beths was fantastic but we got a feeling that he was not very happy with the school as far as behaviour and bullying etc is concerned. We also felt a little roughness among some of the children.

Chis & Sid had a family atmosphere and we felt that children were more disciplined.

In comparison to Chis & Sid, BGS probably has a better senior management team and better results. We were also very impressed with the Head Teacher and the children at BGS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now