Bexley 11+ 2009 statistics

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Having liaised with the council, I can say that they are taking it seriously. They realise that something has to be done because, according to the rules that they have set, Bexley's kids are seriously disadvantaged.
The council is predicting that, if nothing is done, the problem is going to get worse and worse. The council is trying to be fair to all concerned but states that it's priorities has to be to local children, not necessarily Bexley's, but on distance.
Lass

Post by Lass »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:Lass - this year 499 children who attend primary school in Bexley have been deemed selective (445 if you take out the coached independent children).

We have 754 selective places. So at least 255 places at Bexley schools will be going to out of borough children (over one third). Given that some Bexley selective children will live in the north of the borough and therefore fall out of catchment for a grammar school, more than 255 places will go to out of borough children.

Shocking don't you think?
Absolutely - I think it is outrageous!

But I was just wondering how many of the OOB children will be taking up their offers of places if they have sat different tests in other areas? For example, I know someone who was in the top 180 in Bexley but also scored highly in Kent. She is listing 3 Kent schools on her CAF (of which she is pretty much guaranteed to get her 1st choice because of her high score), and a Bexley school in 4th because she is guaranteed it. And I know another child who scored highly in both Kent and Bexley (although not top 180) but is hoping for a Kent place rather than a Bexley.
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

One should not forget that all the OOB candidates are only entered if their parents feel that their children are capable for a GS education and will not realise their potential in the local failing comprehensives. They are also possibly tutored to get a top 180 place.

Compared to OOB children all the children in Bexley are entered. The OOB cohort entered for the exam is therefore not similar to the Bexley Cohort and I am not really surprised by the overall statistics.

The admissions will however be offered to approximately 300-350 OOB children compared to approx 700 who have passed.

All the above 300-350 OOB children will potentially be living very near to Bexley boundaries to have a chance of actual admission.

I can also add that I know atleast 8 children in top 180 who will not be taking a place at any of the GS in Bexley.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Bexley, sorry I didn't ask for previous years. The poor woman I've been talking to would probably have a coronary if I asked her that as well!

As for the non-selectives, if more local kids went to the grammars, then there would be more spaces at the comps. At the moment there's a lot of really bright kids being denied a grammar place and allocated non-selective schools.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Remember at this stage we are not talking about places but being 'deemed selective'.

The council are keen to deem more local children selective (25% as it is supposed to be) as without this the local kids cannot even apply to a grammar school.

If and kids then turn down a Bexley place in favour of a place in another borough, there will be opportunity to expand the catchment areas and take kids from further afield.
dani*

Post by dani* »

when the process will end wrote:One should not forget that all the OOB candidates are only entered if their parents feel that their children are capable for a GS education and will not realise their potential in the local failing comprehensives.
And send Bexley kids to failing local comprehensives instead?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Bexley Council cannot be responsible for the education of children from the whole of the south east at the expense of local children.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

WTPWE - you say you know of at least 8 top 180 scorers who will not be looking for a place at a Bexley grammar school. This just proves how rotten the system is. Bexley introduced the caveat that the children with the top 180 scores should be allocated a selective place regardless of distance in order to provide some opportunity to children who live in the north of Bexley outside the catchment area for grammar schools.

It is horrendous to think that selective children, often in the more socially deprived parts of Bexley, are being deprived of a selective place because the top 180 places are being taken up by people who have NO intention of sending their children to a Bexley grammar school. :evil:
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Tracy wrote:
As for the non-selectives, if more local kids went to the grammars, then there would be more spaces at the comps. At the moment there's a lot of really bright kids being denied a grammar place and allocated non-selective schools.
Yes, but will some even get a non-selective school place this year? If less Bexley children get a place at the Bexley Grammars, then surely there will be more Bexley children forced to put down a non-selective school than there are places. This could end up to be absolote chaos. I feel quite glad that I don't have to go through the process again for another 4 years. Hopefully they may have sorted it out by then :evil:
toy

Post by toy »

Tracy, you mentioned that residents can voice their opinions/concerns to the council. How do we go about doing this please?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now