Bexley 11+ - how did they find it?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Bexley 11+ - how did they find it?

Post by mystery »

Good luck. If it doesn't work out you know you gave it your best shot; and if he does pass you know your child is I am sure able and not a performing monkey. And he is still able if he fails. We have an 11 plus failure in our family on course for a 1st at a top uni. None of these tests are perfect.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Juancurt

Post by Juancurt »

My eldest DD goes to Townley Grammsr and she said a small group of children sat the test this Tuesday. I am assuming these are those who were sick or couldn't make the official dates.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Here here Mystery. It isn't the end of the world at all.
My dh& I are first class hons from a top uni from state schools.
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

I agree with salsa. Mystery's posts are excellent. She is spot on about the tests and asks the right questions.

If the timings given on here are correct, then I fail to see how this test really tests knowledge. 25 comprehension questions in 15 minutes, together with reading a passage, seems a bit ridiculous if the test is meant to measure comprehension. It seems more like a race where candidates who guess may do as well as those who spend time on the questions.

I think it was Bobmumof3's son who said that some other tests seemed more like "proper" tests. I think he said that the questions on this test were generally easier than on some of the others, but that time was the problem here.

Maybe the time constraints are so severe in order to prevent candidates scoring highly on what may be relatively easier questions.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

mystery wrote:Thank you for your kindness soggy. I would rather that you save it for someone who was distressed by this year's test in Bexley or elsewhere. You can work out who this is by reading people's contributions.

Hope both our children pass their respective tests this year zingy.

Apologies that my autocorrect does something different with your name each time. Zingy sounds better than soggy, but neither are as good as the original.

Apology accepted Misery. I don't think you took my concern for you seriously though. That was a genuine goodwill wish that the stresses of the 11+ soon leave you and you can again focus on the more important and ordinary things in life; like cherishing our kids and family, developing our kids as well rounded people who will cope in the modern world. I think we share a dislike of 11+ exams and the whole selective process. It can cause us to become obsessed and sometimes in need of a reality check to , in the bigger scheme of life, how unimportant it is. You said yourself, many non grammar kids go on to achieve great things. I genuinely do wish your ds or dd well.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

I wonder how the school management will be from inside if the entrance exam itself is so poorly designed. Well that explains why Bexley & co are ranked low compared to the school around - Olaves, DG, Judd etc. My DS has done well in the exam but Bexley is the last in my list (actually not in my list) even if he gets selected. :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry I know nothing about bexley schools, but it is possible that the entrance process is completely different in terms of management from the school itself. If the school concerned has academy status the local authority has little to do with it, but the entrance test process would appear to be co-ordinated by the local authority.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Hi
I was wondering whether dp could kindly relay info of test content for this years CEM TEST to one of your mods who can bank it safely from late sitters until maybe March next year ?? It could then be transferred as a sticky for future use??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now