newstead results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TopHat

Re: newstead results

Post by TopHat »

Thanks to all answers,thanks to people on this forum and so many private messages I have got I understend that we have a high score and nothing to worry about place in NW, also I understood that this is the best from all schools mentioned , so thanks to all once again for clearifyng all this. Good luck to all.
Last edited by TopHat on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

frr wrote:My daughter scored 220, with VR 111 and NVR 109. This is in the cut-off range 218-220 specified in the letter. My question is: What is the downside placing Newstead as a first choice with the local school, Bullers Wood, as second?
Essentially, she passed the test which is the requirement when listing grammar schools on CAF. You have nothing to loose. List your schools on the CAF based on your true preference.
Nikki00

Post by Nikki00 »

Tophat

My daughter only took the newstead test and she didn't get a high enough score but many of her friends have taken the Bexley and Kent so I do know a bit about the system.

I won't go over the advice about looking at schools etc as others have already said this. You are however looking at schools over a large area and different areas and schools have different criteria regarding distance.

You haven't said where you live now. With a top 180 bexley score in theory you should be able to choose between Townley (girls) or Bexley Grammar (BGS) regardless of where you live.

Newstead - you have a high enough score to gain a place assuming you qualify as group 1 (inside the 9 mile catchment) It says this on your letter.

Kent - I assume your daughter will pass. Dartford Girls and Tonbridge will have different criteria regarding distance. You may have a great score but live too far away. All schools will have this information on their website. The CAF needs to be in by 31st Oct and it will be based on your current address. If you are planning on moving the last date for changing your address is 2nd Dec (Bromley ie Newstead), 8th Dec Bexley and 11th Dec for Kent. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong !).

You must put the schools down in order of preference, if your 1st choice can't offer a place it will then go to the next on the list they will either offer or it will go to 3rd etc. You can still ask to be on the waiting list for a school high on the list than the one you are offered.

Your daughter has done her part by getting a high enough score for several top schools make sure you do your research and she gets the school you/she want. Don't stress about A levls uni etc she is only 10 ! In this country you can apply to sixth form and many kids change schools depending on the courses on offer.

After all that brain-ache its wine o'clock !!
TopHat

Post by TopHat »

Thanks for all info, I think NW will be
thebestmummy

Post by thebestmummy »

Hello my DD took NW. How many took the exam on the day , does anyone know please , I'm curious . Many thanks
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Do people really pick schools from a list?

The child is going to have to spend a lot of time at school. Is it not worth listening to what they have to say, give them a few options to look at and see how “they” feel.
Guiding a child is one thing but picking something of a list based on opinions of anonymous people on a message board? At age 11 I think it is worth to take the child’s opinion on board and listen to what they have to say, especially the so called “bright ones”.
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

MerlinFromCamelot wrote:Do people really pick schools from a list?

The child is going to have to spend a lot of time at school. Is it not worth listening to what they have to say, give them a few options to look at and see how “they” feel.
Guiding a child is one thing but picking something of a list based on opinions of anonymous people on a message board? At age 11 I think it is worth to take the child’s opinion on board and listen to what they have to say, especially the so called “bright ones”.
Well said MerlinFromCamelot. I couldn't agree more! Sometimes I think the world has gone mad!
TopHat

Post by TopHat »

Ha,ha,ha
Last edited by TopHat on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

TopHat wrote:
MerlinFromCamelot wrote:Do people really pick schools from a list?

So let's say that your Daugther is accepted in one of the super selective schools ( NW for example) and also is top scorer in that school exams( like the top 20 children) ,but all her friends not get place in that school and they go in ,let's say, Blackfen for girls( nothing against the school) and based on this your girl chose to stay with them, and you going to be ok with that, is this what you are telling us. Come on. I can hear a voice of a mum with low score child that wanna cheer herself up. Can't think of other reason for such a comment. Why you taking the 11+ after all if you don't care about ranking and statistics, after all this is what all 11+ is about, to get to the best posible school.
TopHat, not only are you incredibly rude, I think you have totally misinterpreted what MerlinFromCamelot is saying. MerlinFromCamelot was simply proposing that you bring your dd's thoughts and opinions into the school selection process, since it is your DD going to the school and not you - what if your DD doesn't like NW but prefers another school, which still has great results but doesn't rank as highly on your list? From reading your obsession with scores, I already know the answer to my question ..... Just bear in mind, there's much more to a school that it's ranking. Oh and before you chirp up, no my child didn't get a low score, he was a 2014 sitter as I believe was MerlinFromCamelot's DC and yes I do live by example, my son goes to WGSB (despite an OOC score high enough for DGS) and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure your DD will do well, god help her if she doesn't.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

TopHat you keep missing the point and then twisting people's advice and assuming everyone else's DC can't have the same wonderful choices as you as their advice can only be borne of failure. My DC is in a similar position to your DC and she has input as we have nurtured her to be a fantastic individual who we are really proud of and she is capable of making great decisions. We will help and direct of course but she deserves our respect and so will have substantial input. She went on this journey inspired by looking round excellent schools and getting a feel for how she would excel academically and as person. The schools you mention are great on paper but it is about choosing the right school that is a good fit for your child. One of the schools in your list has had a spate of terrible (and by terrible I mean tragic consequences) pastoral problems that led to the head suddenly departing so on paper it is a top school but many parents would put their child's emotional well being into the frame as well. Yes you can find some of this out on forums but nothing quite answers all the questions like a visit. Many of the schools have their open days in the next two weeks prior to CAF submission deadline.

Good luck to your DD.