In borough passes, for those about to submit their CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
turnip08

Re: In borough passes, for those about to submit their CAF

Post by turnip08 »

I thought there was no such thing as IC or OOC for Bexley, with admission preference given to those who are ranked in the top 180 (whether in or outside of Bexley) then just down to distance (with siblings, children in care etc in between)?
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

turnip08 that is correct, there are no IC or OOC for Bexley. The admission criteria are as you have said.
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

turnip08 wrote:I thought there was no such thing as IC or OOC for Bexley, with admission preference given to those who are ranked in the top 180 (whether in or outside of Bexley) then just down to distance (with siblings, children in care etc in between)?
yes you are right, my mistake. Though in order to understand how likely is a kid to get a place you need to know the distance from each school to their place of residence.
There is also the fact that some families will move before Dec 8th to have a better chance so the proportion between Bexley passes and other authorities can change.
salsa

Post by salsa »

liceo_classico wrote:
turnip08 wrote:I thought there was no such thing as IC or OOC for Bexley, with admission preference given to those who are ranked in the top 180 (whether in or outside of Bexley) then just down to distance (with siblings, children in care etc in between)?
yes you are right, my mistake. Though in order to understand how likely is a kid to get a place you need to know the distance from each school to their place of residence.
There is also the fact that some families will move before Dec 8th to have a better chance so the proportion between Bexley passes and other authorities can change.
Yes, that's right. In the past, we have used this tool which is very accurate and very similar to whatever the council uses to asses distances.

https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salsa
phina1

Post by phina1 »

Plus many of the Bexley kids that passed won't actually take a place as they may well choose the Kent Schools (Dartford & Wilmington in particular, as some will be pretty close) or Newstead & St Olaves. Then a fair few will also choose one of the comps over a grammar especially if they are in catchment for some of the good ones.

So for the out of borough people, there will be a lot more than 300 spaces but I guess this just says that if you passed the test and live in Bexley then you're almost certain to get a space in a Bexley Grammar if you want one - but then, we knew this anyway as they go on distance and generally Bexley residents will be pretty close to at least one of the grammar schools.
hybiscus

Post by hybiscus »

liceo_classico wrote:
People who moved in by 08DEC to improve their chances must be getting counted as IC thus leading to the incorrect conclusion that a large number of IC children are getting admission ?
NetsofCubes

Post by NetsofCubes »

liceo_classico wrote:Here's the data for 2017. Unfortunately they don't say if they are IC or OOC:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... _test_2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi folks,

Am having a slight panic here. I have just downloaded the Excel spreadsheet from this FOI request, and it seems to show all children who scored less than 216 as being non-selective. DD scored 215, and our email from Bexley said that this was a selective score, with the pass mark being set at 214. I'll get in touch with Bexley tomorrow ... but does anyone know anything which would stop me panicking?? Have I misread it somehow?

I'm very worried that when we submit our CAF, the school is going to get a copy of this spreadsheet and deal with DD as a non-selective candidate. :shock:
salsa

Post by salsa »

NetsofCubes wrote:
liceo_classico wrote:Here's the data for 2017. Unfortunately they don't say if they are IC or OOC:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... _test_2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi folks,

Am having a slight panic here. I have just downloaded the Excel spreadsheet from this FOI request, and it seems to show all children who scored less than 216 as being non-selective. DD scored 215, and our email from Bexley said that this was a selective score, with the pass mark being set at 214. I'll get in touch with Bexley tomorrow ... but does anyone know anything which would stop me panicking?? Have I misread it somehow?

I'm very worried that when we submit our CAF, the school is going to get a copy of this spreadsheet and deal with DD as a non-selective candidate. :shock:
I noticed that. I would apply regardless and have the email as proof. After all, not everyone will see that spreadsheet, which may be issued in error.
Do you also have a letter?
Please don’t panic. In the worse case scenario I would appeal.

Salsa
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

The Bexley website is clear that 'the selective standard is set at 214', so you should be fine:

https://www.bexley.gov.uk/services/chil ... tion-tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NetsofCubes

Post by NetsofCubes »

Thanks for the replies - it is reassuring to see 214 published on their website. But I am worried that this is the official spreadsheet to be used by schools. I've emailed Bexley and I'll chase them by phone tomorrow. I'll let you know what they say. Backstop would be to appeal - but I'd really prefer not to have to ...

Thanks also to whoever made the FOI request in the first place. I wouldn't have thought to do so, and catching this error early could make a huge difference to us. It's so good to have people out there who dig for information.