GCSE Easter revision courses

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Middlesexmum

GCSE Easter revision courses

Post by Middlesexmum »

Can anyone recommend any Easter revision courses in the NW London/Herts area? Are they specific to particular boards? Dd is looking at Maths and Sciences, possibly English too.
Guest55

Re: GCSE Easter revision courses

Post by Guest55 »

I'd check whether her school is running anything first. The problem with these courses is they are often very generic and not based n what your daughter needs.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Nothing being organised by school. Does anyone have any recommendations please?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What boards is she doing and what books in English?

You might find it easier to search by the boards as English set texts and formats are quite different between the boards. My dds did completely different books for GCSE English than their friends at other schools. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Maths is iGCSE Edexcel, Science iGCSE Edexcel and English is OCR. She's doing An Inspector Calls and Macbeth, can't remember the others off the top of my head.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would speak to teachers - I expect they will give past papers and set work for Easter. I'd avoid ANY other input at this stage.
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

Our DD1 did Wellington College's Easter revision course last year and she thought it was really useful. She took Double Science and Maths. She had previously done Justin Craig (which she said didn't help her).
Good points: excellent teachers, very good facilities, staff were fantastic, only accept students predicted higher grades (this was a problem with Justin Craig - The other students were all predicted Ds and Es and our DD was predicted A/B) so level is fairly even.
Bad points: quite pricey...
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

to answer your question directly and not get bogged down on what the school should be doing (in la la land), please check out Justin Craig on any popular search engine as an example of what you are looking for. It may not suit all budgets but then again that is your buisness. We have used this service many years ago and is an invaluable top up service.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Actually I've been looking at Justin Craig since my last post, very pricey though.

avidskier - that's a good point, I didn't consider the possibility that the other students might be at a much lower standard.

Dd's Maths teacher doesn't think it's a good idea. I'm not sure now, I thought it might be a good way of enforced revision (rather than drag a sleeping teen out of bed :shock: )
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm a teacher and we don't recommend these courses as they are not focused on individuals.

Working through past papers and revision guides are much cheaper asnd better options.

There are some great websites too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now