GCSEs 2019

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anotherdad

Re: GCSEs 2019

Post by anotherdad »

haniya11plus wrote:Anyone On aviation, engineering side ?
Me.
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

anotherdad wrote:
Me.
What would you suggest for her physics?

maths isn't a problembut struggling with physics?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

haniya11plus wrote:
anotherdad wrote:
Me.
What would you suggest for her physics?

maths isn't a problembut struggling with physics?
I'm not sure what you're asking. If your daughter is interesting in aviation engineering then I can suggest different routes such as degrees or apprenticeships - the latter has some brilliant options post-A level with some excellent schemes offered by large international employers. Now there are degree apprenticeship routes, too, whereby a student is employed in the field, learns their trade alongside a part-time honours degree and all the fees are paid by the employer and government, i.e. the student earns a salary and incurs no tuition fees. Then there is the more classical undergraduate route of course.

Needless to say, maths and physics are the most appropriate subjects for aviation engineering so if your daughter is struggling with physics her first port of call should be her teacher. Have you had a parents' evening this year yet?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Maths and physics are going to be the mainstays for any engineering discipline.

I’d also agree with Anotherdad about apprenticeships. Most engineering disciplines seem to be covered these days and worth considering.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

haniya11plus, if your daughter is currently taking GCSEs and finding maths and/or physics tough, then definitely speak to the teachers in the first instance as they may be able to suggest specific things she can do to improve. As a Careers Adviser, however, I would have to advise that if she is finding maths/physics difficult at GCSE level, she may want to reconsider aviation engineering - she will need Physics and Maths at A level (whether she chooses the degree or apprenticeship route) and these are, unsurprisingly, significantly harder than GCSE. Perhaps she could also speak to whomever is responsible for Careers in her school and look at alternative ideas, if the teachers are unable to reassure you that she has the ability to improve at Physics.
KB

Post by KB »

+1

Its quite usual for young people to be drawn to a specific career that doesn't necessarily suit their talents but when you talk through what is attractive about it there are other options that can deliver those or similar aspects as well as being more achievable for them. For example at a basic level, looking at other roles within a similar industry or environment.

If they have access to a trained careers advisor they will be able to help them to pick apart reasons for their choice, cross match with their own strengths and then look for paths where the two coincide.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I was told at sixth form open evening this week that physics is no longer a must for engineering degrees. They said Imperial have now dropped it as a requirement, Maths is still a definite. DS’s school teach the OCR Design Engineering A level.
Sounds like the bit about Physics wasn’t quite right...
Amber

Post by Amber »

fairyelephant wrote:I was told at sixth form open evening this week that physics is no longer a must for engineering degrees. They said Imperial have now dropped it as a requirement, Maths is still a definite. DS’s school teach the OCR Design Engineering A level.
Sounds like the bit about Physics wasn’t quite right...
Presumably it depends which type of engineering? I imagine it would be less important for something like chemical or biochemical engineering than for electrical or aeronautical engineering, wouldn't it? There are loads of different types of engineering - saying you don't need physics for engineering degrees is like saying you don't need biology for science ones.

https://www.engineerjobs.co.uk/news-and ... ng-degrees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Our family have spent a considerable amount of time looking at the requirements over the last year. Most say that maths is essential and physics preferred. I think it would be unusual to find many studying aeronautical or aerospace engineering without physics.
scary mum
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Yes I’m sure you’re right. There are so many different sorts of engineering degrees. This advice seems more relevant for the product design sort of route, but definitely further investigation required.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now