How many GCSE's...

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

My dd has to do;

English language and lit, maths, biology, physics, chemistry (which is a shame as there are other subjects she enjoys much more than science , but will have to drop), RS, ICT (which is a microsoft accreditation comporable to a 'b' at gcse) plus 4 options, one which has to be a MFL. They also do the required short course PE and citizenship gcses and some kind of leadership award.

They begin the 3 sciences, RS and citizenship gcse courses in Yr 9. I pressume this is so they can squeeze it all in :roll:

I don't know how heavy the workload will be, as haven't been through the gcse process before. Apparently the 1st biology module that dd sat in November wasn't too bad, but obviously that was all she had to focus on that ocassion. Time will tell!!
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Just checked with DS - now in sixth form, and he did 13 GCSE's and an A level maths.
Two of the GCSE's - IT and RE were both done in Year 9 though, and they commenced work on all other GCSE's in year 9 as well due to the fasttracking and doing all their year 9 sats in year 8. This fastracking might be the case in most of the schools doing more than 10?
solimum

Post by solimum »

My DD has already done Maths (yr 10) and short courses in RE & ICT. Apparently she has also already done English Language though with the various modules occurring at random times I must say I didn't notice!

By this summer she will have added Eng Lit, three sciences, French & German, Home Ec, Music & Geography plus Statistics and a maths bridging course. I make that 12 and two halves, which I guess is 13, plus the additional maths. It's quite salutary to realise that's the same subjects as I did for O Level (it was quite unusual to do 11 at the time) PLUS the RE, ICT & Home Ec

The standard numbers have increased over time at their school - DS1 did fewer seven years ago (only double science, different options, only short course in 2nd language, no RE, no early entry) - DS2 4 years ago did slightly fewer in total (double science but double ICT). DD will at least "win" numerically even if she's unlikely to outdo DS2 in A*s...... The trend to put all pupils in for short course RE early seems to be very common...
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Further to my 13 GCSE post - Read in the Sunday Times Review, that many universities will require a language at GCSE, whatever course is applied for by 2012.

So having been arguing with school will now have to do a u-turn and beg them to let DS do German. Currently (Y9) working at 4C :!: but it's better than his French. Of course we thought it didn't matter if he did the bare minimum up to now.

I shouldn't have interfered - clearly they did know best all along :lol:

So 13 GCSEs it is, all in one go :!: It's the only grammar I know locally that does not stagger them.
Amber

Post by Amber »

If you are Wonderwoman then your son must be Wonderson and he will take it all in his stride! :D
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

[quote="wonderwoman"]Further to my 13 GCSE post - Read in the Sunday Times Review, that many universities will require a language at GCSE, whatever course is applied for by 2012.

[/quote]

I can't see this story on their website. Are you able to post a link to it please.[/quote]
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Thank you Amber - sadly my only resemblance to wonderwoman is that I can change almost as quickly :lol:

But DS, unlike siblings, will just get on with it, he is an easy going chap.

Hilltop - it was in a letter to Chris Woodhead - on rereading I think he may mean some universities.

Anyway as DS's a whizz at science I don't want him to risk cutting his choices in the future.
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

Thanks wonderwoman. Here's the link for anyone else.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 999741.ece