Food Tech or Engineering or systems and control

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Cappucino - that would be interesting if the do that! will have to have a look at the curriculum
marigold

Post by marigold »

We only have experience of FT in this house and all I can say is that it involved a huge amount of course work and very little cooking.
As you may know from my previous posts there is nothing I like more than a bit of colouring in on behalf of my children's homework but staying up until 2am the night before it was due in sticking endless pictures, graphs and diagrams on to huge sheets of paper was not fun.

The syllabus my daughter followed seemed to be mainly based on the industrial production of food, presumably why it is called Food Technology and very little on nutrition or how to make a decent white sauce. What she doesn't know about food hygiene however, is not worth knowing and during the course they all took some qualifications in food preparation which may come in handy for the CV.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Thanks for the info re food tech. Suspected the word TECH was likely to make it anything but a useful survival tool when it comes to feeding oneself or indeed a cordon bleu expert.

I used to teach some Environmental Health officers so probably can manage the food hygiene side - and we might have more fun cooking at home too..

Think DD and I getting more keen on the engineering - so long as we can hit with a hammer and brandish the electric drill we are happy..... don;t expect it will really be as much fun as that!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I'd go for engineering, if she's keen. My DD was all set to do electronics right up to the last minute and then switched to textiles :roll: - turned out to be a bad move imo.
Marylou
cappucino

Post by cappucino »

Did you check the syllabus ?

I just checked and might have led you astray as ours is technically 'home economics' ... our notes state that 'the students will gain knowledge of nutrition, diet and health throughout life'

Staying up until 2 am doing the sticking in doesn't sound much fun, especially if you are not going to get many delicious home cooked meals in compensation !

Engineering is looking good ?
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

My DD is doing Food Tech. For one of her projects she had to prepare 4 dishes on a particular theme which she would have to cook and write up explaining why supermarkets would be interested in selling it. She needed to get feedback from various people. She chose desserts for diabetics as there isn't much in the market. She chose 4 puddings and then modified them to suit a diabetic diet. DH has diabetes so he was very happy to be the taster!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Bromley mum - that sounds very useful! - very specific task.

We have DDs "curriculum evening" this evening so all may become clearer then ...... :roll: or not!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now