GCSE U turn

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Midget Man

Re: GCSE U turn

Post by Midget Man »

Doesn't seem any subject is now excluded, every subject schools are already offering, just linear exams.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Really confused now.

I thought that linear exams meant no controlled assessment. I also thought that the current Year 9 would be doing linear exams. At DS's school, all exams involve controlled assessment except Maths, RS and Economics.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

It was meant to be affecting those currently in yr7 but alot of schools have already implemented exam changes, most my son will be sitting are linear and he's yr9.
Last edited by Midget Man on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Linear exams have come in for the current year 10's and mean no modules, so all of the exam component is taken at the end of the course. There is still controlled assessments, often in the practical elements. My DS (year 10) has controlled assessments this term in French oral, astronomy (hard to take pictures of the moon in an end of course exam!) and music composition.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Linear exams came in last September - that doesn't change.

Year 8 and Year 9 were NEVER going to be affected by these further changes - so relax Midget Man et al.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I accept there's an element that can't be done in a final exam but I assumed that it would be done towards the end of Year 11 and that as much as possible would be done in an exam hall with external invigilators. The English exam (OCR) will have controlled assessment tasks 'staggered throughout the two year course' (from the booklet we were given).

Just seen your post, G55.
KB

Post by KB »

The removal of the January exam session for AS and A2 exams from Jan 2014 was announced after the current year 12 had commenced their courses so Mr Gove has demonstrated that he is quite happy to change the rules even after the students have begun the course!
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

We had to confirm DS1 choices on Wednesday having been told that they need to do ebacc, low and behold Thursday morning....... :roll:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
moved

Post by moved »

Gove is still set to reform the system. The silly limited subject selection has gone, but he is still set to reform GCSEs. I wonder if the EBCs are just back named GCSEs.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Turtleglos - that is the OLD ebacc .... I suspect your school is still going to do this.