GCSE German Speaking

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: GCSE German Speaking

Post by Amber »

moved wrote:Amber, thanks for the perfect response for Mandarin! I'll pass that along to DD, who with only an hor after school each week is struggling!.
Apparently she had also learned 'I don't have any friends' in case she was asked 'do you like to do (unknown vocab) with your friends?'; and "not really I prefer (known vocab)" when asked 'do you enjoy (unknown vocab)?' At GCSE they are unlikely to follow up with 'why have you no friends?' (it would be a bit sad really) or 'why don't you like (unknown vocab)?' so it seems a reasonable tactic.

I do recall my first Swedish oral and being asked if I could drive. The verb to drive is a bit like the verb to fall in love (köra, kära), which did puzzle me; and then the examiner started doing the actions for driving and I cottoned on. At least I think that is what the actions were. :wink:
moved

Post by moved »

Off to rehab, Amber!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My son's problem is the time limit - he cannot cut down what he wants to say to the time and it has been very frustrating getting to fit it all in.

I gave up French at uni because of a terrible oral about the Scottish National Party and independence (30 years ago now - gosh it's taken them a long time :lol: ). I didn't have a clue - all I was concerned with was getting Maggie 'Out Out Out 8)
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

"Prenez la premier rue a gauche. Puis premium la deuxieme rue a droit. La ecole est sur la gauche'

That was part of my French O - level, still remembered after all these years (apologies for spelling and grammar - it was a long time ago!)

Ps. Failed my O-level ( grade E) but got CSE grade 1.
Looking for help

Despite the panic, got A* in the oral, phew. He forgot some sentences which was probably just as well as he would have overrun on the time.

He is happy tonight :D

Apparently though he does have to do it again in y11, although he may be able to use this oral as his entry for the GCSE, here's hoping because it is very difficult to help when I have no German at all :( Although I suppose i could go and learn some.......
moved

Post by moved »

You're not supposed to help! :D
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

They have to do 2 anyway. Great result :) So that's the first 15% of his gcse down, just 85% to go!
Looking for help

aliportico wrote:They have to do 2 anyway. Great result :) So that's the first 15% of his gcse down, just 85% to go!
Thanks.:) Although I guess it needs to be moderated yet so maybe not the final grade. However it was concerning him more than the other stuff so hopefully he should be fine in German at least
Amber

Post by Amber »

Looking for help wrote:
aliportico wrote:They have to do 2 anyway. Great result :) So that's the first 15% of his gcse down, just 85% to go!
Thanks.:) Although I guess it needs to be moderated yet so maybe not the final grade. However it was concerning him more than the other stuff so hopefully he should be fine in German at least
Yes, was going to say do be a little cautious - the teacher shouldn't really say it is an A*, just give a 'band' or maybe a mark, to indicate that it is good, bad or indifferent. Unless it was 100% you can never be quite sure. And yes it could be 100%, although whether one really can ever speak perfectly in a GCSE oral is a matter for debate.

But sounds like he did really well anyway, so well done to him. :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ditto - all 3 of DD's science controlled assessments were given marks lower than she had been told which made her very cross as, in her mind, it lowered her whole grade for each science... (sorry, off topic)
scary mum