PHYSICS GCSE - HELP!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Peridot

Re: PHYSICS GCSE - HELP!

Post by Peridot »

Back to the physics... It still makes me cross that it is mandatory at so many schools to do three sciences if you absolutely know that you are not carrying on with any of them to A level. I wish there was a system, as it was in the olden days of O levels, where you could choose to study one or two sciences in detail if you wanted to - not the choice of either the triple science or the lower-level double science (core and additional) that it seems to be now. I just did Biology, which was rigorous and which I loved, and just doing one specific science gave me more options free for my preferred languages and arts subjects - which I then studied to greater depth at A level and university.

Anyway, OP, my son, now in year 12, found that Physics (although preferable in his mind to Chemistry and Biology!) was not really his thing, so he made sure he asked teachers for help, he used the Bitesize website, and from the new year in year 11 he did a lot of work using revision guides and past papers for the relevant exam board. He was determined to do well so he put the work in and did get good grades.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Physics/Maths easy-peasy !

Get the basics right then the rest will follow.

If only it was that simple :roll:

f=m.a, it only took 3 thousand years or more of intellectual thought and then it only took another 3 hundred years to arrive at E=MC^2 then only less than 30yr to get to the Schrödinger Wave Equation for subatomic particles( a work in progress as with String Theory and M-theory)

All of modernity wrapped up in just three eloquent and beautiful equations!

Simple ? Yes, it's like a magic trick, as when a magician shows you the secret of the trick ,it seems obvious and self evident, when all is revealed and the scales fall from your eyes.

It has taken many lifetimes to get to this point of understanding.

"Physics is the only real science. The rest are just stamp collecting."

Ernest Rutherford-The Father of the Atomic World(I would say the true father of our everyday modern life )-and who I am to argue with him but you of course are welcome to.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

BBC4 are showing a program about Einstein's theory of General Relativity tonight at 9pm for those interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s75vs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now