3 or 5 marks off the next mark - worth appeal?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silverysea

Re: 3 or 5 marks off the next mark - worth appeal?

Post by silverysea »

She feels it is! She wants to be a vet, she is very good at and interested in science, intends to make it her career, she was predicted A*, her friends are querying some results.

If it was me, it wouldn't have even occurred to me, at 15 (still!!) or now.

So, I said I would help her figure it out. I'd rather have a glass of wine.

No one is heartbroken at all, just trying to make sure we are doing the best by her.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

You probably already know that nearly all of the vet schools count As and A*s the same and only ask for As. Similarly, the general requirement to cover most of the schools' requirements is A for physics, some only asking for a B. However, she has to be happy in her results.

We are in a similar predicament with an unexpected B for which she missed by 1 mark. Nevertheless, it is a subject she is taking in the IB, albeit standard level, which is why we're considering a review. Not sure which way to go yet as like you, waiting for teacher's response but aware that there's not much time.
KB

Post by KB »

Isn't it more important that the grade in a subject they are dropping is a true reflection of ability in that subject?
If they are taking it at IB, AS or A level then they will have another opportunity to demonstrate ability in the subject.
Or are you saying that she can't take it to IB with a B at GCSE?
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Hi KB. It's a little complicated. It's English literature which she got a B in. Okay, admit not as important as language but the IB course is for English literature. She was predicted an A continuously throughout Years 10 and 11 and she studied really hard for the exams and felt it had actually gone better than the language which she got an A in. Her teacher has come back and thought she was hoping she would actually get A* in it. She can do literature at IB standard level with a B but it's also a matter of confidence for her as to whether she will do well at it for IB for what is already a demanding course. Others in her year group (some with different teachers) seem to have strange marks for it.

At the end of the day, it could be that she went awry on the day and we'll accept that if that is the case but given all the feelings and facts, we're probably going to go for it, considering it is one mark. Her teacher thinks we should. Otherwise, we'll just keep wondering. She had another unexpected B which we're probably not asking for a review on as that's not deemed to be such an important subject (actual or perceived).
KB

Post by KB »

Whatever you decide I hope your DD takes heart from her teacher's assessment of her capabilities. Things can go wrong in an exam but the teacher will have a much deeper knowledge of your DD's ability.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Several of my DD's cohort received unexpected C grades for one of their English GCSEs - Language I think but could be wrong. It could potentially have cost DD a sixth form place at a girls grammar school , but the school eventually relaxed their usual "nothing lower than a B" by which time DD had decided to stay where she was anyway!. The school appealed and most were eventually upgraded to A or B (Can't remember which DD finally got 6 years late post A levels and degree)
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Our head is lodging an appeal as about a dozen girls were given a B in their English Language paper. He has stated that this regularly happens with a new teacher who is inexperienced, and feel unsure that all the papers are of a high quality (as they usually are in a Grammar School), so mark them all down. DD was given a B in her paper, though usually has A/A*'s, and it dropped her to an overall A. If enough families have the same issue then the head can complain and the remark will be free.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm confused - how would the exam board know who the teacher was? Sounds like 'spin' to me.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

They look at the papers. It isn't one rogue teacher, it's an issue with inexperienced markers. Apparently a number of Heads of grammar schools have complained to the Minister of Education (no idea which one) because (we were told) that an inexperienced person marking lots of good papers starts to mark them down because they don't understand why they are all of a high standard and not mixed standard, as you would expect when presented with a pile of them! It has happened a number of times in the past, and it usually involves subjects where there is no simple right or wrong answer. DD1 has always been very good at English Language, getting either an A or A* from year 7 onwards, so the B was a shock. She was one of many in her year who were given much lower marks, which is why the Head is following it up. I think that he needs 10 or more complaints, which he has. I'll update when we hear the outcome.....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry that just isn't correct. All markers have to submit examples of their marking to a lead marker - one of my friends is a cheif examiner. That doesn't mean mistakes don't happen but new markers have to mark a large sample and submit them all before they are given more to mark. Checks are made throughout the process and then those close to a boundary are often re-checked.

I think someone is not quite telling the full story unless this isn't AQA, Edexcel, OCR or WJEC.
Last edited by Guest55 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now