GCSE Past Papers

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GuidingStar

GCSE Past Papers

Post by GuidingStar »

Hello,

Anyone has any GCSE/IGCSE past papers pre 2013 for main subjects (Maths, English, Sciences, History, RE etc).

Most exam boards have papers online only for the last 3-4 years. Where can I get older papers, say before 2012?

I understand that exams have changed a lot, but I guess the core syllabus are the same for main subjects and hence old papers can still give valuable preparation.

Thanks.
Guest55

Re: GCSE Past Papers

Post by Guest55 »

School will give all the past papers that are needed.

I'd be cautious about going back before 2012 for Maths as the stye of questions changed significantly that year.

Which boards are you looking at?
piggys

Post by piggys »

The AQA, EDEXCEL and OCR GCSE English language papers are completely different now so I wouldn't bother with past papers there.The literature is not so different except that the unseen poetry now comprises two and not one poem, and all the questions are closed text and not open. The IGCSE courses are still quite similar.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Guest55 wrote:School will give all the past papers that are needed.
Sorry hijacking your post, but my jaw dropped last night at an options evening when one parent asked where to get more GCSE practice papers for her daughter. This is in year 9. I am hoping that I can extrapolate from your post that I am not missing the plot and I don't need to rush out and start looking for GCSE practice papers at this stage. :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Eccentric, ds1 is Y11 and I haven't gone out to find practise papers!! Not my GCSEs...the teachers made it clear they are happy to provide them if my son asks - as far as I know he has....
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Eccentric, ds1 is Y11 and I haven't gone out to find practise papers!! Not my GCSEs...the teachers made it clear they are happy to provide them if my son asks - as far as I know he has....
My comment was tongue in cheek. I wouldn't dream of offering GCSE practice papers unless it was simply to give a sample of what to expect if a subject is chosen as an option.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

So was mine!! Any parent doing that in Y9 must be slightly bonkers!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Eccentric wrote:
Guest55 wrote:School will give all the past papers that are needed.
Sorry hijacking your post, but my jaw dropped last night at an options evening when one parent asked where to get more GCSE practice papers for her daughter. This is in year 9. I am hoping that I can extrapolate from your post that I am not missing the plot and I don't need to rush out and start looking for GCSE practice papers at this stage. :D
That plan is likely to misfire spectacularly methinks. Unless the child is also taking her GCSEs in Year 9?
russet

Post by russet »

TBH, I do think the year 9 parent who asked about papers has a point. This is the first year of the new GCSE. The papers from the previous year are always reserved for mocks, so by the time the year 9s are in year 11 there will only be one year of GCSE papers available for practice. Doing past papers is a good way of raising grades and lowering nerves in the actual exam.
Perhaps the parent was raising these concerns in advance or perhaps they had other children in year 10 or 11.
I really would not feel threatened by thinking another parent was putting more work in with their child than you are with yours. Concentrate on what you are doing and if you think that is right, do not be influenced by others.
Those who asked are doing what they think best.
Last edited by russet on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, there might only be a certain number of 'real' past papers but exams boards are issuing lots of additional stuff. For example, Edexcel have produced two 'secure' mocks because some 'people' posted 2016 papers online ..

I've never known so many resources for a new specification - exam boards want to retain market share so are trying to make life as easy as possible.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now