GCSEs 2018

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: GCSEs 2018

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our school does Y10 mocks in February and then Y11 mocks early November. This means they have two drop points where they can see how the boys are doing - they can address any major issues from the Y10 exams and again from the Y11. It also means they have clear evidence of progress should a child be unwell in the real things. Although it feels awful when you are telling your child to go and revise over half term holidays, by getting them to revise the stuff regularly, hopefully it is just a refresher when they sit down for "real" GCSE revision.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Revising for mocks after Christmas in the Tinkers household, though possibly not as much as there should be. I’m not making comments. She seems to be doing it without any nagging which is important and I know they will do plenty at school for the real things. Seems unfair to fill the Christmas holiday with revision though.

However the hallway mirror is now being used as a whiteboard and covered in things she needs to remember, like physics equations, long german words she is trying to remember the spelling of and some maths stuff.

We also seem to be breeding post it notes with Merchant of Venice quotes around the house.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Mocks done and dusted here. Finished yesterday so there's a long lie in going on this morning. Good to be free over Christmas but the timing did rather curtail all school / rugby club Christmas celebrations.

Results then parents' evening in January and final decisions regarding A Level choices. And so it goes on........
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Similar here. DD has devised herself a revision timetable working on school day principles - 1 hour blocks, 10 min breaks, lunch break. She has decided to go 'no music'. As a teenager who could now sleep for Britain she has very sensibly set her start time each day to 11am. I have had no hand in these plans - it is all her choice.
It might be harder next week when both DH and I are off work but this week has been fine so far.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

One of our cats has the reputation of turning up to ‘help’ whenever DD is doing any science HW, so now called science cat. If you have seen the science cat memes, she looks very similar too. Just needs the glasses and bow tie.

Today she turned up when DD was doing some music revision, so decided that was boring (since it wasn’t science). So she collapsed on DD’s notes and fell asleep instead. Which really didn’t help.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Dd has announced she intends to study on Christmas day :o :o :o :o

She is getting herself in a real tizzy and I am hoping she will ease up a little. Then again I am also getting stressed about arrangements and so on- I had a terrible dream last night that I missed my turkey collection slot at Waitrose and they had run out. In my dream the only meat left was a selection of cow's heads and pig's heads (must be all that Lord of the Flies revision). :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD got fed up yesterday and couldn’t motivate herself. We told her to have the day off and do other stuff instead (like baking or maybe even tidy her bedroom) and she instantly brightened up. Yesterday evening she started recalling all the Merchant quotes around d the house.

It wasn’t in her revision timetable to do anything on Christmas Day, but we are going to the in laws and MIL is a retired Physics teacher, so who knows...
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

piggys and Tinkers, just remember the famous Daley Thompson quote:

"I used to train on Christmas Day because I knew my rival wasn't" :lol:
Hera

Post by Hera »

Definitely no revision going to happen here on Christmas day! Exams start on 2nd Jan so DS has been working hard, but is feeling a bit hard done by as all the other local schools had their mocks before Christmas.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Preparing for exams is a little different to preparing for the Olympics. Students do need a proper break from revision; there needs to be a balance between work and play.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now