GCSEs 2018

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2childmum

Re: GCSEs 2018

Post by 2childmum »

DD will be taking 2xEnglish, Triple science, Maths, RS and Music. Only 8, as she joined part way into the courses (from being home-ed) plus she is dyslexic with a very slow processing speed, so although she can tackle most things it takes her much longer to complete anything. The other students at her school take 9. 2x English, Maths, Double science and RS are compulsory, then there are 3 more choices. DD chose extra science and music, and was allowed not to take the 3rd.

I don't think schools will allow anyone to drop English Literature due to the new league table arrangements. English and Maths are double weighted, but English only if both English are taken, so I don't think schools will be keen to lose the double points! League table are now based on the 8 best subjects - english, maths, 3xEBACC subjects and 3 others, but lots of schools are insisting on more EBACC ones so as to make sure they fill those 'slots' with decent results.

English Language is mainly analysing unseen texts - a mixture of fiction and non - fiction, and must include something from the 19th century (different exam boards are combining these in different ways). They have to be able to say how the structure and language achieves different effects for the reader. Not quite what industry is asking for when it wants better language skills I don't think. The exam also includes some fictional writing (stories or description), and some non-fiction (letter, reports etc - probably the most useful bit).
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I think , two of; Eng Lit, History, geography or RS is perfectly acceptable- no need to make Eng Lit compulsory, although I would always recommend it for bright children .

Why is Eng Lit more important than say History ? it's like doing additional maths and standard maths the same skill sets tested, not very useful for uni admissions officers unless one has specific career/degree in mind then do dual science opening up a place for another humanity/FMF/ancient language...........or knitting .

No one really needs to more than 8 (9-1) gcses. Childhood is short, so many other things to do, these years don't come back ! We are long time dead , childhood is gone in a blink of an eye :wink:
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Catseye wrote:I think , two of; Eng Lit, History, geography or RS is perfectly acceptable- no need to make Eng Lit compulsory, although I would always recommend it for bright children .

Why is Eng Lit more important than say History ?
I would more question why RS is compulsory. In an age when the majority of young people in this country are not religious it seems odd that they are forced to take RS in place of another option which they might actually prefer or which might be more relevant to the modern world (politics, IT etc).

I know that the RS curriculum includes topics on ethics and philosophy but from what I've seen its still all in relation to views of the major religions.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Gcse RS is not compulsory at DDs school. However they do have to do one of RS, history or geography.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Tinkers wrote:Gcse RS is not compulsory at DDs school. However they do have to do one of RS, history or geography.
My understanding is that it is compulsory for all state schools to teach RS up to year 11. Taking it as a GCSE is optional, but many schools make the GCSE compulsory on the basis that if they're going to have to study it anyway why not make it go towards a qualification (which I guess makes sense).

My question though is why should the teaching of RS be compulsory in the first place? Why in a generally secular country is knowledge of religion(s) considered more important than say knowledge of history, geography or a foreign language?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'm not religious and neither is my DD. I do believe all schools should be secular, especially after having gone to a church school myself. DD also went to a church primary school, but it had a very multicultural mix of children.

However I do think they should all learn about the various different religions of the world. Just not necessarily as a gcse they are forced to take just because they have to be taught RS anyway.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Tinkers wrote:I'm not religious and neither is my DD. I do believe all schools should be secular, especially after having gone to a church school myself. DD also went to a church primary school, but it had a very multicultural mix of children.

However I do think they should all learn about the various different religions of the world. Just not necessarily as a gcse they are forced to take just because they have to be taught RS anyway.
I've nothing against the principle of children being taught about different religions at school so that it forms a part of their overall knowledge. What I object to is the fact that it is compulsory all the way throughout their GCSE years when it takes up valuable lesson time which could be spent on other options.

Surely if RS was just compulsory up to end of Y9 that would be sufficient for everyone to get a basic understanding of world religions and then those who are interested in studying it further can take it as an option while those who are more interested in equally worthy subjects such as history, geography, French or computer science can drop RS and study something else?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Totally agree. I think DDs school incorporate it into PHSE for years 10/11 for those who don't take it. Many local schools make it a compulsory gcse though, but usually taken in year 10. I'm not sure I see the point.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Tinkers wrote:Totally agree. I think DDs school incorporate it into PHSE for years 10/11 for those who don't take it. Many local schools make it a compulsory gcse though, but usually taken in year 10. I'm not sure I see the point.
I agree. We happen to have a faith but I still don't see the point of making students study it beyond year 9.
Dc's school manages to push it into PHSE for those who don't choose to study it at GCSE (dd is; I suspect ds will not).
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Tinkers wrote:Totally agree. I think DDs school incorporate it into PHSE for years 10/11 for those who don't take it. Many local schools make it a compulsory gcse though, but usually taken in year 10. I'm not sure I see the point.
DS's school don't have PSHE lessons beyond year 9 as its not compulsory from what I understand. They do have RS as compulsory though.

Presumably the government in their wisdom have decided that its far more important that 21st century British teenagers learn about the details of religion than a load of irrelevant nonsense on personal health, sex education, bullying, drugs etc. :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now