GCSE mathematics formulae you need to know

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

GCSE mathematics formulae you need to know

Post by Guest55 »

In case your child has not seen this, Edexcel have published this useful poster:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/cont ... Poster.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is useful for all GCSE exam boards.
solimum

Re: GCSE mathematics formulae you need to know

Post by solimum »

Thanks for that. Do you have any sense of whether there are in fact major differences between the boards in terms of topics covered or style of question? I work (as LSA) in a school which is using AQA but am helping with a friend's daughter taking OCR elsewhere. I am assuming that, at least at the level they are working at (hoping for a 4-5 rather than the 8-9 range) they are pretty similar in the fundamentals covered
piggys

Post by piggys »

Thanks Guest, I'm printing it out now :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

solimum wrote:Thanks for that. Do you have any sense of whether there are in fact major differences between the boards in terms of topics covered or style of question? I work (as LSA) in a school which is using AQA but am helping with a friend's daughter taking OCR elsewhere. I am assuming that, at least at the level they are working at (hoping for a 4-5 rather than the 8-9 range) they are pretty similar in the fundamentals covered
There are subtle differences - look at the sample assessment materials. I'm not very familiar with OCR.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thank you, that's helpful. Printed out and put one on the year 11s desk, one on the year 9s and the year 6s so as not to feel left out.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Thanks G55. That is great and very useful having it all clearly shown on one page. :)

Are they expected to memorise all those including the quadratic formula?

Also DS has recently being doing circle theorem which I don't actually remember covering when I was at school. I think there are about 7 or so theories/rules that they are supposed to know. You don't happen to have a similar sheet on those by an chance do you?
Hera

Post by Hera »

DS was doing circle theorem for further maths I think?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD has definitely being doing circle theorems for gcse. I don’t remember doing them.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh I remember them in the geometry for maths o level ....showing my age here. There's nothing on that formula sheet that we didn't do either. It was a blast from the past wth the sine and the cosine rule. Not sure what geometry there is in the Edexcel gcse maths syllabus our last two will be doing.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

I thought that back in my day (early GCSE) we didn't do sine rule, cosine rule and quadratic equation until A level but maybe I'm wrong? :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now