Short GCSE courses

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Reading Mum

Re: Short GCSE courses

Post by Reading Mum »

DD's school satisfied the requirements for RE education through PSHE lessons I think
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Reading Mum wrote:DD's school satisfied the requirements for RE education through PSHE lessons I think
Ditto DD's old school. DS2 is mightily hacked off, even as he is about to go into year 11, that his moved to a compulsory full GCSE in RS for his year, rather than allowing them to take the short course as his brother had.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Everyone at dd's school took the short course as mandatory. If anyone wanted to do the full course they were expected to do the extra work in lessons held at lunchtime.

The downside to doing the GCSE short course is that the result did not count towards the final 'points' required to secure a place in the school's Sixth Form. Dd achieved a really good grade but this did not count in the best 8 GCSE's for Sixth Form Entry!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

As an aside (but still on topic I think) why does the curriculum state they have to continue studying RE? I feel the past three years of study has covered most mainstream religions and helped enforce the idea that not everyone celebrates their god(s) in the same way. So why continue?

I have never had a religious bone in my body and the only thing that came out of my forced two years of RE was that I discovered I loved singing hymns and reciting the Lord's Prayer. :lol: Though I think I also learnt to always respect a place of worship.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

BucksBornNBred wrote: I have never had a religious bone in my body and the only thing that came out of my forced two years of RE was that I discovered I loved singing hymns and reciting the Lord's Prayer. :lol: Though I think I also learnt to always respect a place of worship.
These are very positive aspects! :D

In France, there is no RE lessons at schools… As a consequence, many problems are engrained in the French society: ignorance of many about the different religions (including Christianity), lack of respect for people of other faith, lack of knowledge to understand well known masterpieces in literature and the Arts.

For instance, one cannot understand the beautiful poem ‘La Conscience’ by Victor Hugo if one does not know the story of Cain and Abel.

Or one cannot understand such a painting if one does not know the significant events in Jesus life:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/64372/15 ... ast-supper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The examples are numerous!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote: For instance, one cannot understand the beautiful poem ‘La Conscience’ by Victor Hugo if one does not know the story of Cain and Abel.
Oops, :oops: :oops: I should have given an example in English literature rather than the French one. My apologies!!!

For example, the title of Shakespeare play ‘MEASURE FOR MEASURE’ derives from St Matthew’s gospel:
Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged;
and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again
( 7: 1-2)

I am under the impression that one does not need to read a lot in literature of the Victorian times (and before!) before coming across some references to Christianity.

To take another example (maybe easier than Shakespeare?), the reference to Christianity in ‘North and South’ by Elisabeth Gaskell (Victorian author) are numerous (if my memory does not betray me!).

My dream is to study ‘Paradise Lost’ by John Milton! :D I hope that have the time to study it in a few years time!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote:
To take another example (maybe easier than Shakespeare?), the reference to Christianity in ‘North and South’ by Elisabeth Gaskell (Victorian author) are numerous (if my memory does not betray me!).
Hi BBB, :D
Speaking of 'North and South, may I recommend you the film which is absolutely superb? There are not many references to Christianity in it, contrary to the novel. It is more about morality. It is also a superb love story... but I still recommend you to read the novel before watching the film!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0E6YQnd3AE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few years ago, my DS’s history teacher showed his class a clip from this film to talk about the conditions in the factories in Victorian times.

Er… er… maybe have a few tissues nearby when you watch it! :wink:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

JaneEyre wrote: These are very positive aspects! :D
They are indeed but I think assemblies and church choir visits probably helped more than the lessons. I think if I had to study religion I would have gone mad and possibly come out with a less tolerant attitude.
JaneEyre wrote: In France, there is no RE lessons at schools… As a consequence, many problems are engrained in the French society: ignorance of many about the different religions (including Christianity), lack of respect for people of other faith, lack of knowledge to understand well known masterpieces in literature and the Arts.
I probably don't appreciate fully those things as I can't say I was a star pupil in RE - my favourite part was drawing stories from the bible and colouring them in as I loved art :lol:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

JaneEyre wrote:To take another example (maybe easier than Shakespeare?), the reference to Christianity in ‘North and South’ by Elisabeth Gaskell (Victorian author) are numerous (if my memory does not betray me!).
I only have one Gaskell book (Mary Barton) but I just didn't "gel" with her style of writing (much the same as - dare I say it - the Brontes)
JaneEyre wrote: Speaking of 'North and South, may I recommend you the film which is absolutely superb?

Er… er… maybe have a few tissues nearby when you watch it! :wink:
I will definitely look at the film :D I have a lifelong love of Victorian England (thanks to watching a weekly TV drama at Middle School). One of my favourite books is Henry Mayhew's 'London Labour and The London Poor'.

:lol: :lol: Maybe it is time for me to take out shares in "a well known" tissue manufacturer :D

ETA: Actually, my love of Victorian novels started when Penguin Classics introduced their £1 range ... I bought the biggest book I could find (David Copperfield) and I was hooked :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

BucksBornNBred wrote: I probably don't appreciate fully those things as I can't say I was a star pupil in RE - my favourite part was drawing stories from the bible and colouring them in as I loved art :lol:
:lol: :lol: But that is at primary school. I am sure you have done more at secondary school! But anyway, I can imagine some headline title: 'Famous artist BBB has discovered her gift whilst drawing during RE lessons at primary!' :wink: :lol:
BucksBornNBred wrote: I only have one Gaskell book (Mary Barton) but I just didn't "gel" with her style of writing (much the same as - dare I say it - the Brontes)
Mary Barton is not as good as North and South, far from it! It is Gaskell's first novel and the topic of a murder in Victorian is not a very funny one! :shock:

You enjoy none of the Brontes out of the three???? :shock:

Mind you, my literature teacher did not like Jane Austen very much, except for Northanger Abbey which made her more accessible to him!!! We had some good laugh arguing together, as I wouldn't let him criticise Jane Austen in front of the class! :lol: :lol:
BucksBornNBred wrote: I will definitely look at the film :D
I hope the film will lead you to the book! :wink:
BucksBornNBred wrote: One of my favourite books is Henry Mayhew's 'London Labour and The London Poor'.
Thanks for the info; I will look out for this book! :wink:
BucksBornNBred wrote: ETA: Actually, my love of Victorian novels started when Penguin Classics introduced their £1 range ... I bought the biggest book I could find (David Copperfield) and I was hooked :D
Here you are! You are a Dickens's fan! :D :D