Short GCSE courses

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: Short GCSE courses

Post by BucksBornNBred »

JaneEyre wrote:But that is at primary school. I am sure you have done more at secondary school! But anyway, I can imagine some headline title: 'Famous artist BBB has discovered her gift whilst drawing during RE lessons at primary!' :wink: :lol:
Actually, that was my Secondary (HS) RE education (or at least all I remember of it). My teacher was pleased when I managed to get 29% in an end of year test :lol:
JaneEyre wrote:Mary Barton is not as good as North and South, far from it! It is Gaskell's first novel and the topic of a murder in Victorian is not a very funny one! :shock:
Oh I don't know... I love a Victorian murder :wink: It was the style of writing that I didn't take to, though I might give North and South a go to see if that is better as I am always looking for a new book :D
JaneEyre wrote:You enjoy none of the Brontes out of the three???? :shock:
Not one I am afraid :(
JaneEyre wrote:Mind you, my literature teacher did not like Jane Austen very much, except for Northanger Abbey which made her more accessible to him!!! We had some good laugh arguing together, as I wouldn't let him criticise Jane Austen in front of the class! :lol: :lol:
I adore all of Jane Austen's books; she is my second favourite author.
JaneEyre wrote:Here you are! You are a Dickens's fan! :D :D
My favourite author of all time, his literary style just flows for me. My third favourite author is Oscar Wilde, even his De Profundis is a work of art :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

BucksBornNBred wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:You enjoy none of the Brontes out of the three???? :shock:
Not one I am afraid :(
I am not sure this will do the trick to reverse your aversion but this link will give you the best adaption of the novel ‘Jane Eyre’ that I have ever seen (I have watched several of them, though not all of them):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jane-Eyre-Repa ... =Jane+Eyre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have to say I have read many books of Charlotte and Anne Brontë but I have always been put off from reading ‘Wuthering Heights’ by Emily because of the hatred and desire of vengeance in that novel. But I am sure I will get there eventually! :D

BucksBornNBred wrote: My third favourite author is Oscar Wilde, even his De Profundis is a work of art :D
I have really enjoyed ‘How to be earnest’ and ‘The picture of Dorian Gray’ so I will have to give ‘De Profundis’ a go! :wink:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

JaneEyre wrote:I have to say I have read many books of Charlotte and Anne Brontë but I have always been put off from reading ‘Wuthering Heights’ by Emily because of the hatred and desire of vengeance in that novel. But I am sure I will get there eventually! :D
It isn't so much the stories as the way they are written; with most Victorian writers I can get straight in and don't struggle with the language but there is something about the Bronte's that doesn't work for me.
JaneEyre wrote:I have really enjoyed ‘How to be earnest’ and ‘The picture of Dorian Gray’ so I will have to give ‘De Profundis’ a go! :wink:
De Profundis is a bitter letter from a man at his lowest but that makes it so real and, guess what, I cried :lol: But then surely you have also read The Happy Prince at some stage? If you need a box of tissues for that I can send some over :wink: Oscar Wilde was a genuine talent and I have read everything by him and enjoyed every one (Earnest is probably the inspiration for things like Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First")

And I have to say you are probably the only person I have ever known that has read and enjoyed Dickens and the classics (Frankenstein is heartbreaking too!)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

BucksBornNBred wrote: De Profundis is a bitter letter from a man at his lowest but that makes it so real and, guess what, I cried :lol:
Frankly, I wouldn't expect anything less from you!!! :lol: :lol:
You should create an add to praise the quality of the tissues 'X'! I am sure you will have plenty of ideas to be creative!!! And I am expecting a puddle! :wink:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

:lol: :lol: I guess I empathise too much :) I defy you to read The Happy Prince and not cry though!!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

BucksBornNBred wrote::lol: :lol: I guess I empathise too much :) I defy you to read The Happy Prince and not cry though!!
I have reserved 'The happy Prince' at the library so I will be able to keep you informed of my 'rate of cries' by pm.
I am not sure I can cry when reading a book though; I cry when watching films. :? That does not mean I am not empathising with the characters in books!

That is funny; I never thought about that before! Do often readers cry less than people watching films because the support of the story is different :?:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Not sure, JE, but I cried when I read Michael Henchard’s will at the end of The Mayor of Casterbridge.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

JaneEyre wrote: I have reserved 'The happy Prince' at the library ...
You mean you don't own the complete works of Oscar Wilde?? :shock: :wink:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

:lol: :lol:
I wish I were king Croesus and could buy all the books I wish!!! :wink:

Let me show you the house of a philosopher/writer in France. I wish I had a home like that!!!

Watch at 10mn 14!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He9GrKo2g7M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:wink:
KS10 wrote:Not sure, JE, but I cried when I read Michael Henchard’s will at the end of The Mayor of Casterbridge.
That must be a very very touching will!!!! I have added this book to my reading list ; thanks KS10! :D
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Wow. That is my dream! We have a room filled with books but not that big :( I grew up in a house with no books on display (other than a set of encyclopedias), so I worry that owning your own library might skip generations and my DS will decide to shun all books on display!

I had to bite my lip recently as we had to buy books for DS to make notes in at school... I was brought up not to deface books so I am struggling a bit with that (I know it is supposed to help study but I have never written in a book in my life).