GCSEs 2019

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Re: GCSEs 2019

Post by salsa »

Surferfish wrote:
salsa wrote:I know some schools do this. Do they have a budget to pay for extra teachers?
DS has some extra sessions over Easter and weekends and parents were asked to contribute £5 voluntary contribution per subject.

Seems fair enough.
Bargain! How much are those GCSEs private revision schools?

Salsa
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Well dd finally broke up from school yesterday and has started revision today according to her study timetable.

Sounds good on paper....but she started the day with a meltdown over printing out past papers :roll:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

When is her first exam?

This will be my 5th and hopefully last year in a row of GCSEs, AS levels and A levels.

What was the issue? Printer not fast enough? I punted it all to a copy centre; it was worth every penny. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Couldn't work out how to print double sided (this has been an ongoing issue for ages) then it ran out of ink. Have ordered new printer cartridges today and am considering getting dd her own printer which she can use in her room instead of coming down. And I've advised her to print out everything she needs the night before.

Think it's just the combination of exam stress and hormones making her over-react to small issues. It's going to be a long 2 months! First exam is 13th May.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Middlesexmum wrote:Couldn't work out how to print double sided (this has been an ongoing issue for ages) then it ran out of ink. Have ordered new printer cartridges today and am considering getting dd her own printer which she can use in her room instead of coming down. And I've advised her to print out everything she needs the night before.

Think it's just the combination of exam stress and hormones making her over-react to small issues. It's going to be a long 2 months! First exam is 13th May.
If you are looking at printers, you might want to read this thread.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... om#p587417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(It’s still three quarters full of the coloured inks and still full of black btw)
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Tinkers wrote:If you are looking at printers, you might want to read this thread.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... om#p587417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(It’s still three quarters full of the coloured inks and still full of black btw)
+1

We bought the same model based on recommendations from this site and it has been a dream so far, loads of pages printed and loads of ink left. Though, having said that, I don't think I have had to do double sided so far... Tinkers??
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Not many domestic printers can I suspect.

If it’s purely to save paper, you could just print the next paper on the other side. (We tend to recycle stuff to print drafts of stuff, if it doesn’t matter what’s in the other side. )

Otherwise, print the odd pages out, then put those pages back in the printer the other way around (making sure they are in the right order as well) and print the even pages.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

5 days into the holidays here and DD seems calm. She's doing a bit more each day than most of her friends but it's where she feels comfortable - she's taking two whole days off for family stuff plus she's going to the theatre twice next week - she seems to feel under control. I'm not sure how she'll feel as the exams get closer...
ETA oh and I'm expected to do the printing out at work!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Middlesexmum wrote:Couldn't work out how to print double sided...
I just realised my double sided printing was greyed out. I think it is a problem with Windows 10. Not sure if it will help you but I followed these instructions and double sided printing (although manual) works now:

"Manual 2-sided printing is available only when Status Monitor 3 is enabled. To enable the status monitor, access the printer driver (I actually clicked on print and then properties) and click the Maintenance tab followed by the Extended Settings button. In the Extended Settings window, check the Enable EPSON Status Monitor 3 check box."
salsa

Post by salsa »

Meanwhile, how many timetables and study plans does someone need before they actually start doing any work?

Salsa
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now