To take Maths A-level, what GCSE grade?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chococat

Re: To take Maths A-level, what GCSE grade?

Post by Chococat »

Thanks very much Guest 55, I will show her those links in the morning :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I quite like the Miss B passports as you can link to videos which seem to suit some students.
KB

Post by KB »

If the tutor is any good they should do their own assessment to figure out what she is 'struggling' with. It may be specific topics but it may be her general approach or some very basic skills that weren't picked up way back, for example.
Yes, she needs to get through the specific GCSE grade hurdle but I would want her fundamental relationships with maths addressed if she's wanting to look at a physics based career.
Do hope it goes well.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I would also caution about getting too enthusiastic about post-A-level physics if she isn't enjoying maths. My physics degree was more than half maths - and much more challenging than A level stuff. It's probably as much about the enjoyment of maths as ability. It would be grim to tackle a physics degree knowing you didn't like maths because there's so much involved!
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi Chococat!

Wonderful to read that your daughter is so keen on Physics!

I did quite a bit of Physics and Maths for A Level and at Uni. Warks mum's experience was also mine, I'm afraid.

Guest55's resource list will help. But there's a significant jump from GCSE to A Level Maths as Amber says.

My daughter's now at Uni and her Physical Sciences friends all do a lot of Maths, a lot of demanding Maths, she says.

I would consider writing to the Institute of Physics, telling a full and frank story, and ask for their guidance.

Good luck to your daughter!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is only a 'big' jump to A level if GCSE is not taught properly ie ALL the content and if proper transition is not put in place. A good teacher will know who will cope and advise.
Chococat

Post by Chococat »

Hi, and thanks very much for the latest responses and advice given.

We have warned our daughter that physics will be very maths heavy, but she said she doesn't care and that she is even kind of enjoying maths as she understands it better....never thought I would hear her say that! She thinks the problems she has with the subject is because in years 7, 8 and 9 and even half way through year 10, she never asked for help when she was stuck, so there were a lot of gaps, some of which she has managed to grasp now. She feels that she has improved a lot over the last few months. She said she feels quite secure in what they are learning now as she is asking for help at school and practises at until she gets it. She does take a bit longer to get certain topics, but she seems to be retaining it once it has sunk in. Her twin sister has excellent maths skills so she helps sometimes too, fortunately her A-level choices are straight forward!

I am really surprised that she has become such a physics fanatic over the last 14 months or so and I can't see her love for it fading any time soon. I always thought she would be an artist or a writer. Her dad and I are worried that she will not cope with the maths if she does physics, but she is really going for it, so you never know. She does get physics very well and does well in tests, but I guess at this stage it's not very maths heavy. She won't even consider an alternative at the moment; it would be languages, but as I mentioned previously that is not an option for her.

Anyway, thanks again!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Many people find the maths of "real stuff" easier to cope with than purely abstract maths and it sounds like once she can "see the point" of the various mathematical techniques (manipulating equations, graphs, calculus etc) in terms of relationships between "things we can measure" it will all make more sense.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now