A level marking

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
solimum

Post by solimum »

Re Physio - the reason the grades needed are high ( and I'm quite glad about that, having had a lot of physiotherapy needed on my knee recently!) it that it is a popular, vocational course and places are strictly limited as very often the NHS is paying the tuition fees....

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/De ... px?Id=1923

The universties can therefore afford to be very choosy, and high entry grades is the easiest first selection step....
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I'm glad you are happy with your decision - it must be such a relief - and he will do well with supportive parents. What's happening about the mobile phone issue?
Thank you Tipsy,

Are we happy? I'm not sure, my son seems to be and that is the most important thing, for me. I know he will do well because he is very bright, so shouldn't have any problems ( I will be watching very closely :roll: )
I haven't done anything about the mobile phone- we'll just let him have one and make sure he keeps it hidden.
solimum wrote:Re Physio - the reason the grades needed are high ( and I'm quite glad about that, having had a lot of physiotherapy needed on my knee recently!) it that it is a popular, vocational course and places are strictly limited as very often the NHS is paying the tuition fees....

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/De ... px?Id=1923

The universties can therefore afford to be very choosy, and high entry grades is the easiest first selection step....
I understand that this seems to be the way to select students of the higest acadmic standard, but I thought the point about it being a vocation would have meant that like nursing (similar qualities required) academic results would not necessarily be the only measure to select.

However I take heart from the fact that the it is apparently easier to get As now than ever before, so maybe I shouldn't worry so much 8)

LFH
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Although physio is a vocational course and once qualified is very practical there are very high demands in terms of the learning involved and detailed knowledge of anatomy required in order to assess and treat patients. Most therapists (physio, OT, speech & language) are academically very bright.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I'm just surprised it is almost as difficult as medicine :o
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now