Only days to the A2 exams - how are DC feeling ( and you?!)

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Y

Re: Only days to the A2 exams - how are DC feeling ( and you

Post by Y »

I found this, after much googling:

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/tea ... 55/alevels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On 22 January 2013, the Secretary of State wrote to Ofqual to outline changes to A level structure from September 2015.

The changes mean that the new A level will be linear, with all assessment at the end of two years of study. Although the AS level will be retained, it will be redesigned as a high quality stand-alone qualification as opposed to a means of progression to A2.

The Secretary of State also confirmed plans for leading universities to be more closely involved in developing the content of the new A levels, starting with those subjects which are most commonly required for undergraduate study - maths and further maths; English (literature); physics; biology; chemistry; geography; history and languages (modern and classical).

The first of the new A levels will be introduced for teaching in schools from September 2015, with first exams being sat in 2017.
Does anyone know any more?
Amber

Post by Amber »

http://ioelondonblog.wordpress.com/2013 ... -entrance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A round-up of evidence on related topic, with some opinion. The IOE blog is a good source of information for anyone with an interest in broadening their view of education btw; recent titles have included:

Should we raise class sizes and reduce the number of Teaching Assistants?

Do teachers need to understand what they are doing?

Schools play a critical role in helping young people find their sense of place

Is the new SPaG test for 11 year olds the best way to improve grammar, punctuation and spelling?
ginx

Post by ginx »

Sorry, slightly off topic - what dates do GCSE and A level results come out - thinking of booking holidays for next summer? Can they be accessed online?
Amber

Post by Amber »

ginx wrote:Sorry, slightly off topic - what dates do GCSE and A level results come out - thinking of booking holidays for next summer? Can they be accessed online?
This year the dates are 15 August for A and AS levels and 22 August for GCSEs. I don't think you could get them online; though even if you could most people prefer to be home as action may need to be taken based on the results. For example sixth forms need to know of GCSE ones, and universities of A levels. We are only on ASs here but DD wouldn't dream of being away from home on the day they come out.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Same as Amber here – definitely wouldn't contemplate being away on results day! This year we have both ASs and GCSEs coming so are having to go away early in the summer rather than later which is what we normally prefer.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:Same as Amber here – definitely wouldn't contemplate being away on results day! This year we have both ASs and GCSEs coming so are having to go away early in the summer rather than later which is what we normally prefer.
Ah now, I didn't say I wouldn't contemplate being away, only that DD wouldn't. I would happily be very far away indeed at that dread moment. OH went with her last year (much too embarrassing to have 2 parents there), not me...I fear it might be my turn this year. Eek. Mind you, sitting waiting for The Call was no picnic either. As DD is not really a user of mobile 'phones, I eventually plucked up the courage to call. "I think I've done quite well" was all I got, followed by "got to go, sorry". OH was sitting parked at an 'unembarrassing' distance away, so he didn't know either. Oh it's all horrid - ginx, book that holiday now!
moved

Post by moved »

DS has had his by email each year, but in yr 11 we have to do into school to collect them and, I believe, register for sixth form.
DD has to go to school to collect hers - allotted times for each yr group!
I'm dreading this summer, when we have an AS and big batch of gcses for one and a gcse for the other. Ho hum.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can access Edexcel results online and see your offers via UCAS track.

However, I would strongly recommend being there in case phone calls to universities are needed.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, everyone. We will have to be at home, and thanks for telling me the date, I thought it was the middle of August. We'll make sure we're not away then and go away before (don't want a holiday after bad news!)

I don't know how you guys all do it with more than one dc doing exams at the same time - is it Belinda with four dc doing exams? I'd be drinking an awful lot (not water) :) we have four children but now Sats are over, they will never overlap with exams again. Thank goodness.
jemima

Post by jemima »

I've done this before - one DS doing A2's one DD doing AS' and one doing GCSE's. However it seemed to glide over me (except for the medical school application). However this year I have A2's and GCSE's and it seems a big deal. The A2 one is very focussed and cares a lot. I think it affects us depending on how they are reacting.